This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8929 / 54°53'34"N
Longitude: -2.9328 / 2°55'58"W
OS Eastings: 340267
OS Northings: 555752
OS Grid: NY402557
Mapcode National: GBR 7CYV.VT
Mapcode Global: WH802.X8LV
Entry Name: Congregational Church
Listing Date: 22 March 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196929
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386803
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY4055NW LOWTHER STREET
671-1/12/201 (East side)
22/03/74 Congregational Church
Non-Conformist Church. 1842-3 by John Nichol of Edinburgh and
Carlisle. Calciferous sandstone ashlar with panelled pilaster
quoins carried up as turrets under shaped scrolled pediments
and speared ball finials; shaped modillions and cornice under
open balustraded parapet. Roof not visible from street.
Tall single-storey, 3-bay facade, forming part of a terrace.
Central panelled double doors up steps within tetrastyle
pilastered portico, console-bracketed cornice and shaped
parapet. Flanking cast-iron rails and left gate around cellar
void, with steps down to cellar door. Projecting bay over
entrance has alternate shaped raised quoins, projects above
parapet as a Dutch gable with speared ball finials flanking
central shaft finial. Tall central window in stone architrave
with console-bracketed cornice and mock heraldic scrolled
festoon. Similar tall flanking windows.
Wall mounted plaque refers to the Rev Thomas Woodrow who was
minister of this church (on another site) 1820-35 and placed
to commemorate the visit of his grandson, US President Woodrow
Wilson, on 29 December 1918.
INTERIOR: porch divided from main body by plaster screen with
2 doorways and frosted glass windows. 2 flights of stone steps
with twisted cast-iron balusters and moulded wooden handrail,
flank the door and lead to the balcony. Rib-vaulted ceiling.
Main body of church has gallery on 3 sides supported on
clustered columns; Gothic wooden panelling. High central
round-headed east window of coloured glass; below is organ
rebuilt and enlarged in 1906. Flanking east windows, that on
left with World War II stained-glass angel. Barrel-vaulted
ribbed plaster ceiling with roundels. C20 oak pulpit;
patterned cast-iron altar rail. C19 numbered oak pews. Wall
mounted marble plaque of 1913 to James Robinson.
Opened for worship 19 March 1843. For further details see
Macdonald, CWAAS,Trans.NS LXXI, and Burgess (1988).
(Cumb. & West. Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc., New Series:
MacDonald MIM: LXXI: Mr Nichol of Edinburgh, architect: P.295;
Burgess, John: Congregational Churches of Cumbria
Listing NGR: NY4026755752
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings