This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8932 / 54°53'35"N
Longitude: -2.9329 / 2°55'58"W
OS Eastings: 340263
OS Northings: 555779
OS Grid: NY402557
Mapcode National: GBR 7CYV.VQ
Mapcode Global: WH802.X8KN
Entry Name: Trustee Savings Bank and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 1 June 1949
Last Amended: 11 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196930
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386805
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY4055NW LOWTHER STREET
671-1/12/203 (East side)
01/06/49 Trustee Savings Bank and attached
(Formerly Listed as:
Premises occupied by Trustee Savings
Bank (including entrance to Gretna
Formerly known as: Carlisle Savings Bank LOWTHER STREET.
Athenaeum now bank. 1840, for the subscribers, by Arthur and
George Williams of Liverpool. Calciferous sandstone ashlar
(from Prudhoe Quarries) on chamfered plinth, with giant order
pilasters and Corinthian capitals; moulded entablature,
modillioned cornice and parapet, partly balustraded with
central festoon and flanking head panels. Graduated slate roof
without chimney stacks.
2 storeys, 5 bays. Recessed end bays have C20 panelled doors
and overlight in architraves under bracketed cornice; small
sash windows above in stone architraves with moulded sill
bands under festoon panels. Central 3 bays have sash windows
with glazing bars in stone architraves on bracketed moulded
sills under console-bracketed cornices. Upper floor sash
windows with glazing bars in eared architraves on moulded sill
INTERIOR entirely gutted in 1988 (had been altered in 1874 and
1929). The railings in front are 1988.
HISTORY: references to the construction of the building are in
the Carlisle Journal (1839, 1840 and 1845). For details of
costs and later sale see Mannix & Whellan (1847). Opened in
1874 as part of the adjoining Post Office. Became part of the
Gretna Tavern in 1916 and front part converted into Savings
Bank by JH Martindale 9 July 1929.
Has an impressive facade when viewed down Devonshire Street.
(Carlisle Journal: 2 February 1839; Carlisle Journal: 2 May
1840; Carlisle Journal: 18 January 1845; Mannix and Whellan:
Directory of Cumberland: 1847-: P.140).
Listing NGR: NY4026355779
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings