This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8824 / 54°52'56"N
Longitude: -2.9402 / 2°56'24"W
OS Eastings: 339779
OS Northings: 554583
OS Grid: NY397545
Mapcode National: GBR 7CXZ.8L
Mapcode Global: WH802.TJ3Z
Entry Name: Former Holme Head Coffee Tavern and Reading Room
Listing Date: 11 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196933
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386817
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA2
Electoral Ward/Division: Denton Holme
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St James
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3954 NORTH STREET, Holme Head
671-1/15/223 (South side)
Former Holme Head Coffee Tavern and
Reading room and coffee tavern for work people, now meeting
room. 1881, for Ferguson Bros, by George Dale Oliver. English
garden wall bond brickwork on chamfered plinth (all dressings
of calciferous sandstone) with band of decorative red tiles
and sill band. Hipped red tile roof with decorative
half-timbered gables and scrolled finial; tall rear red brick
2-storey octagonal building. On the corner angle are C20
double doors in a moulded brick segmental arched surround
(signs of where a wooden porch has been removed). Each face
has paired sash windows on 2 levels, except where joined to
other buildings, partly with glazing bars and some C19
coloured glass, under shaped lintels and in brick reveals.
INTERIOR not inspected.
Unified to the terrace housing on North Street (not included)
by a single-bay link. GR wall post box is set into one of the
faces. Carlisle Journal (1882), states that the building
opened in January of that year; original building plans are in
Cumbria County Record Office (Ca/E4/1403). For illustration
and further details, see the company magazine Home Headings
(1949). When laid out in the 1850s North Street was originally
called Morley Street.
(Carlisle Journal: 31 March 1882; Home Headings (Company
Magazine), December 1949: P.4-5).
Listing NGR: NY3977954583
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings