This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8917 / 54°53'30"N
Longitude: -2.9336 / 2°56'1"W
OS Eastings: 340212
OS Northings: 555619
OS Grid: NY402556
Mapcode National: GBR 7CYW.N7
Mapcode Global: WH802.X96S
Entry Name: Crown Court, Adjoining Offices and Gate Arch
Listing Date: 1 June 1949
Last Amended: 11 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196939
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386722
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Currock
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY4055NW ENGLISH STREET
671-1/12/135 (West side)
01/06/49 Crown Court, adjoining offices and
(Formerly Listed as:
Assize Courts (or the Citadel))
Formerly known as: The Citadel.
Crown Court and Court Offices on the site of the 1542 Citadel.
1810-17 (interior not completed until 1822) by Sir Robert
Smirke. Red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth with string
courses, machicolated cornice (in part) and battlemented
parapets. Hipped lead roofs.
Rounded tall tower is completely C19, on the site of the
demolished western tower of the Citadel (of the same
dimensions); clasping the NW side is a lower 2-storey office
block of 6 bays, with mock gate projection into English
Street; all in Gothic style and almost a mirror image of the
Nisi Prius Court range opposite, with which it forms a pair.
Tower has tall 2-light windows in rounded deeply-recessed
chamfered arch, over small lancets.
Office block has right double plank doors in pointed Gothic
arch; similar off-centre doorway projects in a battlemented
porch, now fitted with a casement window. Ground-floor stone
mullioned windows in double chamfered surrounds. Larger
2-light Gothic windows above with central trefoil heads in
Gate projection was formerly a passageway to the court; ends
in 2 octagonal turrets flanking central arch under a cross
vent; the side walls have been pierced by 2 pointed arches
created in 1929 (formerly the pavement went around the
INTERIOR of court retains its original galleried seating of
panelled oak. The offices are internally divided on ground
floor. Members' room has late C19 monogrammed carved oak
fireplace with tiled and engraved slate fireback. Upper floor
No.2 Courtroom has plain stone fireplace, pointed archways,
dado panelling along one wall and rib-panelled plaster
In an outer corridor the removal of a false ceiling has
revealed the earlier painting of the panelled ceiling. Marble
statue of Major Aglionby by Musgrave Lewthwaite Watson, 1844,
has been moved from the main entrance and temporarily boxed in
to prevent damage during renovation work. Staircase has ribbed
and traceried wooden ceiling with flat central skylight (void
above). Grand Jury Room has dado oak panelling; pointed
arches, one an alcove and rib-vaulted plaster ceiling. Some
original panelled doors. For further details see J Hughes
CWAAS, Trans.NS LXX, Perriam CWAAS, Trans.NS LXXVIII.
(Cumb. & West. Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc., New Series:
Hughes J: LXX: The building of the Courts, Carlisle 1807-22:
205-20; Cumb. & West. Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc., New
Series: Perriam DR: LXXVIII: The dating of the County Goal:
Listing NGR: NY4021255619
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings