History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hospital Wing of County Gaol and Gaol Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Carlisle, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8921 / 54°53'31"N

Longitude: -2.9339 / 2°56'2"W

OS Eastings: 340194

OS Northings: 555659

OS Grid: NY401556

Mapcode National: GBR 7CYW.M3

Mapcode Global: WH802.X92H

Entry Name: Hospital Wing of County Gaol and Gaol Wall

Listing Date: 11 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196941

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386724

Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Town: Carlisle

Electoral Ward/Division: Currock

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Carlisle

Listing Text


CARLISLE

NY4055NW ENGLISH STREET
671-1/12/136 (West side)
Hospital Wing of County Gaol and
Gaol Wall

GV II

Hospital wing of County Gaol, now offices, and gaol wall.
1824-7 by Christopher Hodgson. Red sandstone ashlar,
extensively restored, with solid parapet, battlemented on the
English Street facade. Flat lead roof.
2 storeys, numerous bays. Facing onto English Street is the
gaol wall on chamfered plinth with regularly-placed blind
lancets with single metal bar. On the top on the angle of the
wall, public executions were performed and a cast plaque
records the last one in 1862. The wall joins with the Crown
Court offices and is an integral part of those offices. The
rear of the wall has built against it the hospital wing. 2
off-centre former segmental-arched doorways are now infilled
and fitted with casement windows in stone surrounds, some
paired.
INTERIOR alterations, but the solitary confinement cell is
still complete with its iron door and peep hole, now used as a
strong room.
For further details see Perriam, CWAAS, Trans.NS LXXVII.
(Cumb. & West. Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc., New Series:
Perriam DR: LXXXVII: The dating of the County Goal:
P.129-140).


Listing NGR: NY4019455659

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.