This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.8952 / 54°53'42"N
Longitude: -2.9365 / 2°56'11"W
OS Eastings: 340032
OS Northings: 556013
OS Grid: NY400560
Mapcode National: GBR 7CYT.1Z
Mapcode Global: WH802.V7T2
Entry Name: 23, Fisher Street
Listing Date: 11 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196952
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386751
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY4056SW FISHER STREET
671-1/8/164 (East side)
Quaker Meeting House, now shops with office above. Dated on
relocated keystone 1776; extensions dated on facade keystone
1864 by James Stewart of Carlisle; further 1960s and 1980s
internal alterations. Red brickwork on chamfered plinth (this
and all dressings of calciferous sandstone), rusticated ashlar
ground floor, sill band, solid brick and stone parapet with
central stone panel. Hipped Welsh slate roof; no chimneys.
2 storeys, 5 bays; this 1864 facade is built over the former
garden so that the original 1776 building, now partly
knocked-through, is behind.
Central 3 bays project and are quoined; flanking bays are
lower. 3 ground-floor round-headed arches with false
keystones, glazed as shop windows, the right arch being open.
Similar smaller round-arched windows on upper floor, the
flanking windows are paired, with single windows to side bays.
The open arch gives access to former original quoined-surround
doorway, now a through-passageway (the dated keystone 1776
removed to the rear of the passage).
INTERIOR has original exposed timber roof structure.
HISTORY: The original Quaker Meeting House on this site
collapsed in 1775 (records of Carlisle Monthly Meetings, 20
October 1775) and it had to be taken down in 1776. Its
replacement was near completion in January 1777, lack of
subscriptions holding up the progress. Original drawings for
the 1776 building (not as built) and for the 1864 alterations
are in Cumbria County Record Office, Ca/E4/873. Sold by the
Friends in 1962 when new Meeting House was built. As the
Kinmont Meeting Room (cafe), this retained some of the
original panelling until 1988. See DM Butler (1978).
(Butler, David M: Quaker Meeting Houses of the Lake Counties:
1978-: P.1-7; Carlisle Monthly Meetings: 20 October 1775).
Listing NGR: NY4003056018
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings