This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8914 / 54°53'29"N
Longitude: -2.9224 / 2°55'20"W
OS Eastings: 340930
OS Northings: 555573
OS Grid: NY409555
Mapcode National: GBR 8C1W.3C
Mapcode Global: WH803.2BM1
Entry Name: Skiddaw Building
Listing Date: 11 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196953
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386757
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Aidans
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/05/2016
(Formerly listed as City General Hospital)
Formerly the Union Workhouse (called the Fusehill Workhouse). 1863-4, Lockwood & Mawson (architects). A good example of this later phase of workhouse design by nationally renowned architects. Original plans dated 1862 (Cumbria County Record Office, Ca/E4/821). Flemish bond brickwork on chamfered plinth (all dressings of calciferous sandstone, partly painted), with angle pilastered quoins on projections, string courses and dentilled cornice. Hipped greenslate roof without chimney stacks, central bellcote. 3 storeys under common roof; recessed pedimented 5 central bays, flanked by square single-bay projections rising above roof as lead-domed cupolas; beyond are 9-bay wings with further single-bay projections symmetrically placed; overall 23-bay facade. Central round-arched C20 door in original stone surround. All windows are 1980s casements in original surrounds, those on the ground and first floor with rounded stone arches and stone sills; top floor has segmental brick arches. Clock in central pediment. Cupolas have C20 brick blocking of former 2-light openings. Projecting bays on wings have fretted stone parapet to match similar panels on cupolas. Left bay has been added or rebuilt in C20 brick.
INTERIOR is functional and little changed from its workhouse layout.
Used as a hospital during World War I and became City General under the 1948 National Health Act.
Listing NGR: NY4093055573
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings