This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8949 / 54°53'41"N
Longitude: -2.9282 / 2°55'41"W
OS Eastings: 340566
OS Northings: 555964
OS Grid: NY405559
Mapcode National: GBR 7CZV.V3
Mapcode Global: WH802.Z7SC
Entry Name: Red Gables
Listing Date: 3 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196959
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386665
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Aidan
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY4055 CHATSWORTH SQUARE
671-1/11/82 (South side)
House divided into flats. 1884-5 for William Hudson Scott (of
the Metal Box Co) by George Dale Oliver of Carlisle. Glazed
red bricks on moulded brick plinth, with red sandstone
dressings and terracotta tile decoration. Red tiled roof;
original moulded brick ridge chimney stacks.
3 storeys, 3 bays, with 4-bay return on Currie Street;
markedly assymmetrical in the manner of A Waterhouse. Facade
left bay projects to full height with coped gables, kneelers
and decorative tiles; the ground floor has a canted bay
cross-mullioned window; 2-light cross-mullioned paired windows
above and upper floor 3-light windows. The remaining bays have
a triple-arched loggia containing an external stair to front
door; the loggia entrance has a pointed arch and scrolled iron
gates; other painted arches rise with the stair and have low
arched balusters. The windows above are simpler, some with the
mullions removed and a French window giving access to balcony
over loggia, which has C20 iron railings carried round the
The return has a left 2-storey segmental bow with 4-light
brick mullioned windows; to the right a large decorative gable
projection with cross mullioned windows and a half dormer.
Recess between has similar cross-mullioned windows and a half
dormer. Principal gables are filled with decorative terracotta
INTERIOR not inspected.
HISTORY: Carlisle Journal, 1 May 1885, records the acceptance
of the design for exhibition at the Royal Acamedy; it was also
illustrated in The Building News. William Hudson Scott died
here in 1907 (Carlisle Journal, 18 January 1907) and it was
converted to a Private School called Red Gables. School closed
in December 1966 and building, which had been extensively
altered internally in 1907, was gutted to form flats. Art
Nouveau stained glass internal details were recorded before
gutting. Original plans are in Cumbria County Record Office
Ca/E4/1624 and there are further details on the school
Ca/132/1907/2 and DX/991/1. A photograph showing the ground
floor of the building before 1907 is in Templeton (1988), and
Carlisle Museum have a photograph taken shortly after
The other flats in this group converted from adjoining
terraced houses are not of interest.
(Carlisle Journal: 1 May 1885; The Building News: 13 November
1885; Carlisle Journal: 18 January 1907; Templeton JP:
Carlisle in Old Picture Postcards: 1988-: P.62).
Listing NGR: NY4056655964
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings