This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9043 / 54°54'15"N
Longitude: -2.9356 / 2°56'8"W
OS Eastings: 340103
OS Northings: 557022
OS Grid: NY401570
Mapcode National: GBR 7CYQ.7Q
Mapcode Global: WH7ZW.WZ8N
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 13 November 1972
Last Amended: 11 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196967
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386685
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Stanwix Urban
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle Stanwix St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY4057SW CHURCH STREET, Stanwix
671-1/4/100 The Old Vicarage
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH STREET, Stanwix
Vicarage for Church of St Michael nearby, now private house.
1809 incorporating part of the C18 vicarage for Reverend
Joseph Hudson; rear 1890 extensions. Flemish bond brickwork on
chamfered plinth (all dressings of calciferous sandstone).
Hipped graduated greenslate roof; end brick chimney stacks.
2 storeys, 4 bays, single-depth plan, with rear extensions.
Off-centre top-glazed panelled door and overlight in Ionic
porch with dentilled cornice. Tall sash windows, those on
ground floor almost level with ground, all with glazing bars,
in brick reveals with stone sills and flat brick arches.
INTERIOR: panelled shutters and panelled doors; black marble
fireplace in principal room.
HISTORY: In 1828, the vicar, Joseph Hudson, stated that he had
added the new facade in 1809 (Cumbria County Record Office
D/Hud/13/40/2; plans for the rear extension by J S Seymour are
in CRO, Ca/E4/14172).
Previous list description states that this was on the site of
the Roman fort at Stanwix, but it is just outside the west
wall of the fort and built partly over the infilled fort
ditch. The further rear stable/byre range, converted to St
Michael's Parish Centre in 1983 has extensive alterations.
Listing NGR: NY4010357022
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings