History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

13 and 15, English Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Carlisle, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8943 / 54°53'39"N

Longitude: -2.9351 / 2°56'6"W

OS Eastings: 340119

OS Northings: 555906

OS Grid: NY401559

Mapcode National: GBR 7CYV.BB

Mapcode Global: WH802.W7HT

Entry Name: 13 and 15, English Street

Listing Date: 11 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196975

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386717

Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Town: Carlisle

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Carlisle

Listing Text


CARLISLE

NY4055NW ENGLISH STREET
671-1/12/130 (East side)
Nos.13 AND 15

GV II

House now shop with offices above. Early C19 with C20
alterations. Painted stucco walls with V-jointed quoins, all
dressings of painted stone. Welsh slate roof; shared end brick
chimney stack.
3 storeys, 3 bays; when built this was one house but when the
ground was converted to a shop, this became No.13 and the
premises above No.15 with an entrance in the return on Kings
Arms Lane. Left late C20 shop window; right original quoined
carriage arch with segmental head, forms the entrance to Kings
Arms Lane. Upper floor sash windows with glazing bars in
architraves.
The return on Kings Arms Lane is 3 storeys and 2 storeys of
numerous bays; only one original door and radial fanlight in
pilastered surround with false key and imposts; one original
window, boarded over, in stone architrave partly cut away and
shutter hinge brackets.
INTERIOR: ground floor extensively altered.
HISTORY: An 1835 painting of the Market Place by WH Nutter
(Carlisle Museum) shows this building for the first time;
there was no front entrance from English Street. A photograph
of 1857, reproduced as the fronticepiece of the exhibition
catalogue Nineteenth Century Carlisle, 1971, Carlisle Museum,
shows this building as Flemish bond brickwork before the
application of stucco.


Listing NGR: NY4013155908

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.