This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8952 / 54°53'42"N
Longitude: -2.9411 / 2°56'28"W
OS Eastings: 339737
OS Northings: 556017
OS Grid: NY397560
Mapcode National: GBR 7CXT.1Z
Mapcode Global: WH802.S7N2
Entry Name: Herbert Atkinson House
Listing Date: 1 June 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386606
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3956SE ABBEY STREET
671-1/6/32 (East side)
Herbert Atkinson House
House, lately teachers' centre. Late C18. Flemish bond
brickwork with light headers on chamfered stone plinth, with
painted stone dressings, string course and eaves cornice.
Welsh slate roof; right C19 end brick chimney stack.
2 storeys, 5 bays. Central staircase plan. Central panelled
door and radial fanlight in pilastered surround with imposts
and keystones. Right panelled through-passage door and glazed
fanlight in similar surround. Sash windows with glazing bars
in brick reveals, with stone sills and false keystones in flat
brick arches. Stone over entrance inscribed "Herbert Atkinson
House". Row of circular cast-iron tie-beam plates between
INTERIOR has some original doors covered with modern fascias,
in panelled reveals. Panelled built-in cupboards in rear upper
floor rooms. Original wooden staircase with shaped tread ends
and moulded handrail. Moulded plaster ceiling cornices with a
roundel in first floor room.
Purchased on 6 November 1934 by Carlisle Corporation through
the efforts of Councillor Herbert Atkinson and hence the name
of the house. Opened as an education centre 14 June 1965. For
illustration see Perriam (1988).
(Perriam DR: Carlisle in Camera: 1988-: P.57).
Listing NGR: NY3973756017
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings