History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Herbert Atkinson House

A Grade II Listed Building in Castle, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8952 / 54°53'42"N

Longitude: -2.9411 / 2°56'28"W

OS Eastings: 339737

OS Northings: 556017

OS Grid: NY397560

Mapcode National: GBR 7CXT.1Z

Mapcode Global: WH802.S7N2

Entry Name: Herbert Atkinson House

Listing Date: 1 June 1949

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196977

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386606

Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Carlisle

Listing Text


CARLISLE

NY3956SE ABBEY STREET
671-1/6/32 (East side)
01/06/49 No.13
Herbert Atkinson House

GV II

House, lately teachers' centre. Late C18. Flemish bond
brickwork with light headers on chamfered stone plinth, with
painted stone dressings, string course and eaves cornice.
Welsh slate roof; right C19 end brick chimney stack.
2 storeys, 5 bays. Central staircase plan. Central panelled
door and radial fanlight in pilastered surround with imposts
and keystones. Right panelled through-passage door and glazed
fanlight in similar surround. Sash windows with glazing bars
in brick reveals, with stone sills and false keystones in flat
brick arches. Stone over entrance inscribed "Herbert Atkinson
House". Row of circular cast-iron tie-beam plates between
floors.
INTERIOR has some original doors covered with modern fascias,
in panelled reveals. Panelled built-in cupboards in rear upper
floor rooms. Original wooden staircase with shaped tread ends
and moulded handrail. Moulded plaster ceiling cornices with a
roundel in first floor room.
Purchased on 6 November 1934 by Carlisle Corporation through
the efforts of Councillor Herbert Atkinson and hence the name
of the house. Opened as an education centre 14 June 1965. For
illustration see Perriam (1988).
(Perriam DR: Carlisle in Camera: 1988-: P.57).


Listing NGR: NY3973756017

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.