This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.8948 / 54°53'41"N
Longitude: -2.9405 / 2°56'25"W
OS Eastings: 339779
OS Northings: 555966
OS Grid: NY397559
Mapcode National: GBR 7CXV.64
Mapcode Global: WH802.S7ZF
Entry Name: Eaglesfield House
Listing Date: 1 June 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196982
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386618
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3955NE ABBEY STREET
671-1/10/44 (West side)
01/06/49 Nos.40, 42 AND 44
House divided into 2 shops with offices above. Late C17 with
extensive late C18 alterations. Painted brick walls on
chamfered plinth. Roof of C20 tiles has had its ridge moved
forward; a right kneeler survives; C19 and C20 ridge and gable
brick chimney stacks.
3 storeys, 4 bays; double-depth plan. Off-centre panelled door
(to No.42) and blind fanlight in dentilled open-pedimented
doorcase. Right panelled door and overlight in pedimented
surround. Left early C20 shop front has central recessed
glazed door and flanking plate-glass windows under leaded
overlight. Sash windows, most with glazing bars, those on
second floor are smaller. Around the doorway to No.42 can be
seen the cut-away C17 alternate-block surround and the
brickwork clearly shows where original fenestration has been
blocked. Rear wall has a late C17 floral lead rainwater head
and downpipe, which compares with the one nearby on Tullie
INTERIOR has some C18 detail, but nothing survives from the
C17. Entrance hall of No.42 has rib-vaulted plaster ceiling on
console brackets and heraldic shields. Passage to stair has
wooden panelled dado. The full-height early C18 staircase with
turned and fluted balusters and moulded handrail is
particularly fine. C18 panelled doors.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Cumberland News (1954) says "Dr Waugh's ..
own private residence was the house in Abbey Street, known as
Eaglesfield House .. which he leased in 1730. The Chancellor's
(Waugh's) coat of arms is preserved in this house, which was
sold to Dr Carlyle in 1772".
(Cumberland News: 17 September 1954).
Listing NGR: NY3977955966
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings