History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

No1 Including Intergral Shop

A Grade II Listed Building in Carlisle, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8961 / 54°53'45"N

Longitude: -2.9401 / 2°56'24"W

OS Eastings: 339805

OS Northings: 556106

OS Grid: NY398561

Mapcode National: GBR 7CXT.8P

Mapcode Global: WH802.T64G

Entry Name: No1 Including Intergral Shop

Listing Date: 24 May 1993

Last Amended: 11 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196989

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386648

Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Town: Carlisle

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Carlisle

Listing Text


CARLISLE

NY3956SE CASTLE STREET
671-1/6/66 (East side)
24/05/93 No.1
including integral shop
(Formerly Listed as:
CASTLE STREET
(East side)
No.1
and the Castle Hairdressing Room)

GV II

Shop and house. Mid 1890s for WM Hill and Sons, painters.
Rough-dressed sandstone with ashlar dressing, string course
and modillions. Hipped graduated slate roof; original red
brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 5 bays on a semicircular
corner site. Central corner-shop window is original, divided
into panels, the upper ones under rounded arches of stained
glass in floral pattern, the lower panels of wood; right
panelled door, all under sign board on wooden pilasters. No.1
to right has panelled door and overlight in stone surround.
Sash windows in moulded quoined surrounds, continued over the
shop and onto the Finkle Street facade. INTERIOR not
inspected. An earlier house was demolished in 1892 to widen
Finkle Street; No.1 does not appear in Kelly's Cumberland
Directory, 1894, but was there by 1897. For a history of this
corner site see Trans. CWASS, NS, LXXXVI.
(Kelly's Cumberland Directory: 1894; Cumb. & West. Antiquarian
& Archaeological Soc., New Series: LXXXVI: P.259-260).


Listing NGR: NY3980556106

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.