This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8953 / 54°53'43"N
Longitude: -2.9392 / 2°56'21"W
OS Eastings: 339858
OS Northings: 556025
OS Grid: NY398560
Mapcode National: GBR 7CXT.GY
Mapcode Global: WH802.T7J0
Entry Name: The Boardroom Public House
Listing Date: 13 November 1972
Last Amended: 11 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196992
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386657
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3956SE CASTLE STREET
671-1/6/75 (West side)
The Boardroom Public House
(Formerly Listed as:
The Board Inn)
Includes: No.9 PATERNOSTER ROW.
Public house with manager's flat above. Late C18 with C19 and
C20 alterations. Painted rendered walls on chamfered painted
plinth, with V-jointed quoins; bracketed gutter carried round
the gable return. Graduated green slate roof with coped gables
and kneelers; original painted rendered end chimney stacks.
3 storeys, 4 bays, with 5-bay return on Paternoster Row.
Off-centre panelled door and overlight in pilastered door
surround. Through passage opening on extreme right with iron
gate. Sash windows with glazing bars in painted stone
architraves, those on upper floors with bracketed sills.
Return has right panelled door and overlight in painted stone
architrave, left panelled door and overlight in plain reveals.
Windows similar to those on Castle Street. INTERIOR to ground
floor has been altered.
HISTORY: BC Jones, in CWAAS.Trans., NS. LXXXVIII, states that
the deeds for this house begin in 1651. As "The Board Inn"
this was operated by the Carlisle and District State
Management Scheme between 1916 and 1972. A 1920s photograph in
Carlisle Museum collection shows the ground floor before its
1960s and 1980s alterations.
(Cumb. & West. Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc., New Series:
Jones, Bruce: LXXXVII: Before Tullie House: P.141).
Listing NGR: NY3985656025
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings