History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Tamworth, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6091 / 52°36'32"N

Longitude: -1.6676 / 1°40'3"W

OS Eastings: 422604

OS Northings: 301307

OS Grid: SK226013

Mapcode National: GBR 5H4.K5M

Mapcode Global: WHCH4.CP45

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 9 November 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196998

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386566

Location: Tamworth, Staffordshire, B77

County: Staffordshire

District: Tamworth

Town: Tamworth

Electoral Ward/Division: Wilnecote

Built-Up Area: Tamworth

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Wilnecote Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Tamworth

Listing Text


TAMWORTH

SK20SW WATLING STREET, Wilnecote
670-1/4/138 (North side)
09/11/72 Church of Holy Trinity

II

Church. 1821 with mid C19 vestry. Brick with ashlar dressings,
ashlar to south and west; graduated slate roof and tile roof
to north. Gothic Revival style. 5-bay single-vessel nave and
chancel with north organ loft and vestry, and slender west
tower. East end has coped gable with kneelers; 3 pointed
windows with splayed plaster reveals, the central window
larger and with Y-tracery, datestone above inscribed: G B/
1821; organ loft has pointed window with wooden Y-tracery
frame with leaded glazing, blocked pointed entrance to right.
Vestry, formerly verger's house,of 2 storeys; 2-window range:
segmental-headed entrance to left end and similar blocked
central entrance; segmental-headed windows with pegged wooden
frames to ground floor, similar windows to 1st floor;
truncated end stack. South facade has central porch, coped
gable with cross, plain pointed entrance with paired doors and
offset angle buttresses; Y-tracery windows in splayed reveals,
the central one truncated over porch. West end has coped gable
with kneelers, Y-tracery windows flanking 3-stage tower with
string courses and embattled parapet, plain pointed south
entrance, small pointed lights and louvred bell openings.
North elevation has ashlar cornice and Y-tracery windows.
INTERIOR: corbelled king and queen-post roof. Mid C19 altar
rail on enriched brass posts, other chancel furnishings of
1920s and 1930s, including open traceried screen incorporating
south pulpit. Some C19 and C20 stained glass.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: P.312).


Listing NGR: SK2260401307

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.