This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8968 / 54°53'48"N
Longitude: -2.9417 / 2°56'30"W
OS Eastings: 339700
OS Northings: 556192
OS Grid: NY397561
Mapcode National: GBR 7CWT.XF
Mapcode Global: WH802.S5CW
Entry Name: De Irebys Tower and Outer Bailey Wall
Listing Date: 1 June 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197000
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386571
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3956SE CARLISLE CASTLE
671-1/6/1 De Irebys Tower and outer bailey
Gate tower and curtain walls, with interval towers. C12 walls,
partly rebuilt at various periods; C13 tower forms the core of
present 1378-83 tower by John Lewyn; C19 alterations and C20
restorations. Squared blocks of red and calciferous sandstone
with battered and broad pilasters; tower has flat lead roof.
Outer bailey is roughly rectangular and its enclosing walls
are a continuation of the inner bailey walls on the north and
south side; west walls complete the circuit. The south wall
has an off-centre gate tower (the main entrance to the
3 storeys in rough L-shape; central through-archway retains
portcullis and iron-studded wooden door; various sash windows
most in enlarged openings. Over the arch is a blank panel
(originally with coat of arms) set into a barbican which was
crenellated in 1819. Extensively restored 1988-9 with some
external stone replaced (stone replaced in 1874 has weathered
in). INTERIOR not inspected.
At the south-west angle was a battery, and a similar battery
was at the north-west angle set on an existing tower. Halfway
along the west wall is the postern gate, guarded by a
projecting rectangular tower. The north walls have collapsed
and been rebuilt on a number of occasions but some medieval
walling remains. Continuous parapet walk around the walls has
been cut away in places, probably in 1819 or 1832. For full
details see McCarthy et al (1990).
Listing NGR: NY3970056192
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings