History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Outer Bailey Arnhem Block

A Grade II Listed Building in Carlisle, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8977 / 54°53'51"N

Longitude: -2.9422 / 2°56'31"W

OS Eastings: 339672

OS Northings: 556292

OS Grid: NY396562

Mapcode National: GBR 7CWT.T3

Mapcode Global: WH802.S545

Entry Name: Outer Bailey Arnhem Block

Listing Date: 1 June 1949

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197003

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386576

Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Town: Carlisle

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Carlisle

Listing Text


CARLISLE

NY3956SE CARLISLE CASTLE
671-1/6/10 Outer Bailey: Arnhem Block
01/06/49

GV II

Master gunner's house, then garrison hospital, now English
Heritage offices. 1804-5 incorporating part of an early C18
house. English bond brickwork on chamfered stone plinth;
calciferous sandstone gabled cornice. Graduated greenslate
roof with gabled dormer windows; large C19 end brick chimney
stacks. 2 storeys, 5 bays. Central plank door in calciferous
sandstone alternate-block surround with false keystone up
steps. Sash windows with glazing bars in plain reveals and
painted stone sills. Gabled dormers have decorative
bargeboards. Painted stone panel over entrance is inscribed
ARNHEM, one of the battle honours of the Border Regiment. Rear
wall incorporates C18 brickwork. INTERIOR extensively altered.
Correspondence on its rebuilding in 1804 by Captain Hartcup is
in the PRO, see McCarthy et al (1990). Became hospital by 1830
and had wings added in the 1870's, removed after 1963. The
Castle is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
(Carlisle Castle: A survey and documentary history: McCarthy
MR: London: 1990-).


Listing NGR: NY3967256292

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.