History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Outer Bailey Gallipoli Block

A Grade II Listed Building in Carlisle, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8975 / 54°53'50"N

Longitude: -2.9432 / 2°56'35"W

OS Eastings: 339607

OS Northings: 556266

OS Grid: NY396562

Mapcode National: GBR 7CWT.L5

Mapcode Global: WH802.R5NC

Entry Name: Outer Bailey Gallipoli Block

Listing Date: 1 June 1949

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197004

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386578

Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Town: Carlisle

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Carlisle

Listing Text


CARLISLE

NY3956SE CARLISLE CASTLE
671-1/6/8 Outer Bailey: Gallipoli Block
01/06/49

GV II

Regimental canteen, now civilian and army offices. 1829 with
extensive 1876 alterations and extensions; C20 rear additions.
English bond brickwork under graduated Welsh slate roof; C19
ridge and end brick chimney stacks. Formerly single storey, 6
bays, now 2 storeys, 11 bays overall; porches to bays 3 and 9
have round-headed blind arches; facing returns with plank
doors. Sash windows with glazing bars in brick reveals; stone
sills and lintels; bay 3 blank to first floor. Upper central
C20 painted stone panel is inscribed GALLIPOLI, one of the
battle honours of the Border Regiment. Return walls have
external stone steps to upper floor, plank doors in brick
surrounds. INTERIOR not inspected. Canteens in garrisons were
abolished in 1871 (Carlisle Journal, 1871). Carlisle Journal
(1876) gives the contractors name for the extensions as T.B.
Nelson of Carlisle. For full details see McCarthy et al
(1990). Included for group value.
(Carlisle Journal: 4 February 1876; Carlisle Castle: A survey
and documentary history: McCarthy MR: London: 1990-; Carlisle
Journal: 8 September 1871).


Listing NGR: NY3960756266

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.