This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8972 / 54°53'50"N
Longitude: -2.9406 / 2°56'26"W
OS Eastings: 339774
OS Northings: 556239
OS Grid: NY397562
Mapcode National: GBR 7CXT.58
Mapcode Global: WH802.S5XJ
Entry Name: Inner Bailey Palace Range Including Part of Queen Mary's Tower
Listing Date: 1 June 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197007
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386586
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3956SE CARLISLE CASTLE
671-1/6/17 Inner Bailey: Palace Range including
01/06/49 part of Queen Mary's Tower
Palace range. Early C14 with extensive 1819-21 alterations;
stonework restored in late 1970s. Squared red sandstone
blocks. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gable at left.
4 regularly-spaced sash windows with glazing bars in stone
reveals, the openings cut through earlier infilled windows
which can be clearly traced. Left return wall was formerly
covered by the Long Hall (demolished in 1812) retaining former
linking ground floor and upper floor (now blocked) doorways
and roof crease. Right return has a projecting stair turret
which was originally internal (the Kitchen range and Queen
Mary's Tower were originally here) with blind C14 tracery ribs
under crenellated parapet (formerly a cupola).
INTERIOR has been extensively altered but original floor
levels and C16 fireplaces are visible in walls.
HISTORY: A watercolour by Robert Carlyle c1791, in Carlisle
Museum, shows the building before alteration and with its
large upper floor chapel windows. Altered to barracks in 1821;
left as a shell after fire of 1890 and re-roofed. Now Museum
of the King's Own Royal Border Regiment and called Queen
Mary's Tower (that building was demolished in 1835).
Rear former C19 cookhouse, has central plank door and sash
windows with glazing bars.
For full details see McCarthy et al (1990). The Castle is a
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
(Carlisle Castle: A survey and documentary history: McCarthy
MR: London: 1990-).
Listing NGR: NY3977456239
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings