This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.8945 / 54°53'40"N
Longitude: -2.9386 / 2°56'19"W
OS Eastings: 339896
OS Northings: 555929
OS Grid: NY398559
Mapcode National: GBR 7CXV.L8
Mapcode Global: WH802.T7TN
Entry Name: Ruins of Dormitory of Former Priory of St Mary
Listing Date: 13 November 1972
Last Amended: 11 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197011
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386595
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3955NE THE ABBEY
671-1/10/20 Ruins of Dormitory of former Priory
13/11/72 of St Mary
(Formerly Listed as:
Remains of Cathedral Cloisters)
Dormitory (or dorter) for the Priory of St Mary, now in ruins.
Mid or late C13. Large blocks of red sandstone with ashlar
dressings. This former 2-storey building extended in a
north-south alignment from the south transept of the Cathedral
and joined the Fratry at right angles, forming the east range
of the Cloisters.
The west wall survives in part at ground floor level and has a
pointed-arched doorway with trumeau; this gave access through
the undercroft as a vestibule for the Chapter House opposite.
The east wall has almost entirely gone, only the
pointed-arched doorway into the Chapter House survives. Inside
the west wall are the springers for the rib vaulting of the
undercroft, which continue along the east wall of the Fratry;
on the inside of the east wall is a further springer. On the
east side of the Chapter House doorway (inside the Chapter
House) is the beginning of the ribbed blind arching.
Excavations (unpublished) in the 1950s revealed the ground
level one metre below the present surface with medieval tiles
in place in the Chapter House (now lifted). The slype arches
which continued the wall to link with the Cathedral on the
north were removed in 1809 as part of the new layout of the
Cathedral grounds (see Carlisle Journal, 15 April 1809). For
proposals to convert the ruins into the Cathedral Library in
1693, see JH Martindale, CWAAS, Trans.NS, XXIV. An engraving
from a drawing by Thomas Hearne shows the ground floor intact
in 1777 and a similar drawing viewed from the Cloisters by
Robert Carlyle c1791, are in Carlisle Museum.
(Cumb. & West. Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc. New Series:
Martindale JH: XXIV: Remains of Conventual Buildings,
Augustin.Priory, Carlisle: P.1-16).
Listing NGR: NY3989655929
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings