This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8947 / 54°53'40"N
Longitude: -2.9397 / 2°56'22"W
OS Eastings: 339829
OS Northings: 555956
OS Grid: NY398559
Mapcode National: GBR 7CXV.C5
Mapcode Global: WH802.T7BH
Entry Name: No 2 the Abbey
Listing Date: 1 June 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197013
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386599
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3955NE THE ABBEY
Prebendal house, now privately occupied. Late C17 with early
C18 rear extension; 1888 alterations and additions by CJ
Ferguson. Red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth, with
raised quoins. Graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables;
left ashlar and brick end chimney stacks; right C18 gable
brick chimney stacks. Rear extensions are of handmade bricks.
2 storeys, 5 bays of double span; central entry/stair plan.
Central top-lit panelled double doors in quoined surround with
key frieze and cornice hood. Sash windows with glazing bars in
stone surrounds (originally C17 cross mullioned). Left C19
brick extension has 2-light windows with glazing bars in
fluted stone surrounds. The rear stair projected from original
single span and is of quoined sandstone with a large
round-arched sash window in stone reveals under a hoodmould.
The flanking extension to create the double span means that
the stair no longer projects; these have irregular sash
windows with glazing bars, some in C18 reveals but others are
INTERIOR has been extensively altered in late C18 or early
C19. Panelled doors in panelled reveals and internal panelled
shutters. Moulded plaster ceiling cornices. Black and white
marble tiles in hall. Stair arch is of 2 rounded arches on
central pillar. Wooden stair is also late C18 or early C19
with turned newel posts, squared balusters and moulded
handrail. Some moulded stone fire surrounds could be early
Carlisle Journal 4 January 1889, records the work done by CJ
Ferguson; plans for these alterations are in Cumbria County
Record Office, Ca/E4/1991.
(Carlisle Journal: 4 January 1889).
Listing NGR: NY3982255966
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings