History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Editha

A Grade II Listed Building in Tamworth, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6379 / 52°38'16"N

Longitude: -1.6537 / 1°39'13"W

OS Eastings: 423533

OS Northings: 304519

OS Grid: SK235045

Mapcode National: GBR 5GS.NQ2

Mapcode Global: WHCGY.KYRL

Entry Name: Church of St Editha

Listing Date: 8 February 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197036

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386435

Location: Tamworth, Staffordshire, B77

County: Staffordshire

District: Tamworth

Town: Tamworth

Electoral Ward/Division: Amington

Built-Up Area: Tamworth

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Amington

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Tamworth

Listing Text


TAMWORTH

SK20SW AMINGTON GREEN, Amington
670-1/4/2 Church of St Editha
08/02/91

GV II

Anglican church. 1864. By G.E.Street. Rock-faced stone with
ashlar dressings; tile roofs. Early Pointed style. Chancel
with south organ loft and vestry; nave with gabled south
aisle. Weathered plinth, sill courses and coped gables.
Chancel has east triplet of double-cusped lancets under hood
mould with foliate stops, pair of lancets under roundel to
north; gabled organ loft has rose window under gable to east
and lancet to north; lean-to vestry has 2-light square-headed
window and entrance in chamfered timber frame. 2-bay nave has
stepped triplets of lancets under relieving arches to north,
offset gabled buttress to east and diagonal buttress to west;
3-light plate tracery west window; east gabled bell turret;
3-bay south aisle has 2-light windows with Geometrical
tracery, 2-light plate-tracery west window over gabled
timber-framed porch with ashlar plinth and extension to south,
and inner entrance with quinquefoil arch, gabled offset
buttress to left. INTERIOR: chancel has cusped arch-braced
collar trusses; arches to nave and organ loft die into jambs;
2 trefoil-headed sedilia to south have central shaft with
stiff leaf capital, similar credence shelf to north; shafted
east window over inlaid marble panels; low coped walling to
chancel arch; nave has 3-bay double-chamfered arcade on round
piers and west respond cusped arch-braced collar trusses with
ashlaring and wind-braces, aisle has similar roof and arch to
organ loft which dies into jambs; organ loft has
waggon-boarded roof. Boldly detailed parclose screen to south
of chancel and similar stalls and altar table; timber pulpit
with linen-fold panelling; aisle has panelled screen with open
tracery upper panels to east. Stained glass to east window,
1864, by E.Burne-Jones for Morris and Co, is 'some of the
finest Victorian glass in the county', also chancel north
window, 1910; richly coloured aisle west window.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: P.61).


Listing NGR: SK2353304519

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.