This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6426 / 52°38'33"N
Longitude: -1.6929 / 1°41'34"W
OS Eastings: 420879
OS Northings: 305023
OS Grid: SK208050
Mapcode National: GBR 4FD.BTX
Mapcode Global: WHCGX.ZV10
Entry Name: Spital Chapel of St James
Listing Date: 11 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197039
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386440
Location: Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79
Electoral Ward/Division: Spital
Built-Up Area: Tamworth
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Wigginton St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK20NW ASHBY ROAD, Perrycrofts
670-1/2/37 (North side)
11/05/50 Spital Chapel of St. James
Former chantry chapel; converted to barn at Reformation;
dedicated for worship 1914. Mid to late C12 possibly on
earlier foundations with C13 rebuilding and extensive
restoration, 1909-14. Stone rubble and coursed squared stone
with ashlar dressings; tile roofs. Small chancel and nave.
Chancel has coped gable with kneelers, east window of
round-headed lights with renewed mullions. Nave has
round-headed north entrance with plain reveals and plank door,
signs of blocked C12 entrance to left; early C13
pointed-arched south entrance, possibly ex situ or
reconstructed, moulded arch of one order, shafts missing but
shaft rings remain, and inner keeled rool moulding, plank
door; window to right of 2 pointed lights has recess below,
possibly blocked entrance; west wall rebuilt 1914, with 2
INTERIOR: C16/early C17 tie beam and arch-braced collar roofs
with double purlins and some renewed members, ashlaring to
chancel; round chancel arch with impost bands; chancel east
wall has plaque recording restoration. C20 altar table with
cusped arched panels, altar rail on timber posts. Records
exist of a chantry or hospital founded by Sir Philip Marmion
between 1266 and 1275; the building is believed to have served
as a hospital at the time of the Black Death, 1349.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: P.277; Victoria County History: Staffordshire: Oxford:
1970-: P.294-6; Trans. of S. Staffs Archaeological and
Historical Society: 2nd Report on Excavations at Tamworth
Staffs 1968, Spital Chapel: 1968-1969; Wood H: Borough By
Prescription: Tamworth: 1958-: P.86-7).
Listing NGR: SK2087905023
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings