History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel House

A Grade II Listed Building in West Lancashire, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5637 / 53°33'49"N

Longitude: -2.8834 / 2°53'0"W

OS Eastings: 341588

OS Northings: 407814

OS Grid: SD415078

Mapcode National: GBR 8W97.K7

Mapcode Global: WH86H.PP5C

Entry Name: Chapel House

Listing Date: 11 August 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197056

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386377

Location: West Lancashire, Lancashire, L39

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

Town: West Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Derby

Built-Up Area: Ormskirk

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Ormskirk St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Ormskirk

Listing Text


ORMSKIRK

SD40NW CHAPEL STREET
663-1/4/140 (West side)
11/08/72 No.98
Chapel House

GV II

House. Late C17, altered in C18 and C19. Roughcast render on
brick, slate roof. Transitional double-depth plan (roof
carried down over rear), plus added bow at rear. Three storeys
and 3 widely-spaced windows; an asymmetrical facade with a
round-headed doorway between the 1st and 2nd bays, a small
segmental-headed window to the right (sashed without glazing
bars), large segmental-headed 16-pane unhorned sashed windows
at ground and 1st floors, and square 9-pane sashes at 2nd
floor; all these openings with raised sills and white-painted
ornamental surrounds. Ridge chimney between the 2nd and 3rd
bays, and gable chimneys. INTERIOR: fine dog-legged C17
staircase with closed string, square newels and turned
balusters with moulded handrail. HISTORY: occupied by
Nathaniel Heywood (d.1677), vicar of Ormskirk, who was ejected
in 1662 for refusing to conform to the Act of Uniformity, and
set up a dissenters' meeting house here.


Listing NGR: SD4158807814

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.