History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Roman Catholic Church of St Anne

A Grade II Listed Building in West Lancashire, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5627 / 53°33'45"N

Longitude: -2.893 / 2°53'34"W

OS Eastings: 340950

OS Northings: 407710

OS Grid: SD409077

Mapcode National: GBR 8W77.GL

Mapcode Global: WH86H.JQM4

Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Anne

Listing Date: 1 March 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197066

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386410

Location: West Lancashire, Lancashire, L39

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

Town: West Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Knowsley

Built-Up Area: Ormskirk

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Aughton Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Ormskirk

Listing Text


ORMSKIRK

SD40NW PRESCOT ROAD
663-1/4/170 (East side)
Roman Catholic Church of St Anne

II

Roman Catholic church. 1851, with some small extensions.
Crazed sandstone cladding (perhaps on brick), with sandstone
ashlar dressings and fishscale slate roof. Decorated style.
Nave on north-south axis, with south tower, east and west
aisles, north chancel with west chapel.
The square tower, with angle-buttresses and a north-east
stair-turret, has a plinth with massive moulded coping, a
2-centred arched trefoil-headed south doorway with deeply
moulded surround and hoodmould with figured stops; an
ogival-headed niche containing a statue of St Anne, a
weathered band to the belfry stage which has louvred 2-light
windows with hoodmoulds, and an embattled parapet and swept
pyramidal roof.
The 6-bay nave, with pilasters strips and corbel tables, has
spherical-triangle clerestory windows. The aisles, with
buttreses, have 2-centred arched 2-light windows with
hoodmoulds which have foliated stops; and the west aisle,
which carries across the side of the tower, has a gabled porch
to the 2nd bay, with a double-chamfered 2-centred arched
doorway, and at the north end a canted bay with blind
arcading. The chapel to the north of this has 2 tall lancets
in the side and a 2-centred arched window in the north gable,
with reticulated tracery. Most windows have cast-iron diamond
lattice glazing.
INTERIOR: conventional, with octagonal columns carrying
double-chamfered aisle arcades. High alter designed by Edmund
Kirby, a Liverpool architect, in 1874 and carved by Roddis,
sculptor.


Listing NGR: SD4095007710

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.