This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7908 / 50°47'26"N
Longitude: -3.6588 / 3°39'31"W
OS Eastings: 283172
OS Northings: 100334
OS Grid: SS831003
Mapcode National: GBR L8.ZJX2
Mapcode Global: FRA 3770.0DS
Entry Name: 127 and 128, High Street
Listing Date: 2 October 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197075
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387056
Location: Crediton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Crediton
Built-Up Area: Crediton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Crediton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS826000 HIGH STREET
672-1/5/105 (North side)
Nos.127 & 128
Builder's offices and showrooms with a cartway through to
yard, now in use as shop & office with accommodation over.
1884 (datestone), some minor C20 alterations. Partly local
volcanic trap ashlar, partly Flemish bond brick; Ham Hill &
granite dressings; slate roof; brick stacks with corbelled
caps. Eclectic style, mainly Tudor and Gothic.
Exterior: Partly 4 storeys, partly 3 storeys and attic.
2:1:2-bay front, the cartway in the centre. The 2 left hand
bays are grander, built of stone ashlar and gabled to the
front with kneelers. The centre and right hand bays are
Flemish bond brick with a mansard roof parallel to the street.
The 2-bay left hand block incorporates the showroom on the
ground floor. Left and right plain pilasters frame the front
facade below the gable, which is slightly corbelled out.
Moulded string at second floor level. On the ground floor the
pilasters are granite with carved gabled detail at the top.
Recessed 6-panel showroom door to the right; plate glass C20
showroom window to the left. On the first floor a canted bay
window with a stone slate roof and stone moulded mullion and
transom windows, glazed with small panes above the transom. 2
second floor 2-light stone mullion and transom windows with
Ham Hill lintels. In the gable a 3-light stone mullioned
window with 1884 carved on the deep Ham Hill lintel. The 2
left hand bays have similar framing with plain pilasters, here
in brick, with a corbelled parapet with Ham Hill stone
decoration and a Ham Hill sill band at second floor level.
Ground floor altered to C20 plate glass shop window. Original
first floor oriel of an Arts and Crafts character with a
hipped tiled roof with coved eaves, a roughcast corbel and
moulded oak mullion and transom windows with stained glass
above the transom. 2 first floor casements (reglazed in the
C20) with Ham Hill lintels with keyblocks. 2 gabled attic
dormers with bargeboards and C20 windows. The centre bay
contains the cartway with a gabled granite pilaster to the
right, matching the left hand one, and a granite lintel carved
with the name of the firm. First floor window is a 2-light
transomed casement with a stone lintel with keyblock; similar
window above reglazed with a C20 casement; attic dormer to
match the others.
Interior: Not inspected but may retain features of interest.
Dart and Francis were the contractors for some houses in the
Crediton area and a number of C19 Devon churches designed by
national architects, including St Davids in Exeter by Caroe.
They continued to provide ecclesiastical fittings on a
national scale until the 1980s.
Listing NGR: SS8317200334
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings