This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7907 / 50°47'26"N
Longitude: -3.6583 / 3°39'30"W
OS Eastings: 283207
OS Northings: 100329
OS Grid: SS832003
Mapcode National: GBR L8.ZK1S
Mapcode Global: FRA 3770.0L8
Entry Name: The Ship Hotel
Listing Date: 11 October 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197078
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387059
Location: Crediton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Crediton
Built-Up Area: Crediton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Crediton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS826000 HIGH STREET
672-1/5/108 (North side)
The Ship Hotel
Includes: Ship Hotel MARKET STREET.
Hotel. c.late 1830s, contemporary with the 1836 town
improvement scheme which moved the Market to a permanent site
and altered the road plan of the town. Painted Flemish bond
brick; slate roof; stacks with brick shafts. Italianate style.
Plan: A large double depth block. Entrance on the corner
directly into the main public room: second, grander entrnace
from Market Street into a passage; carriage entrance at
extreme left from the High Street.
Exterior: 3 storeys and cellar. 3x1x3 bays with a deep moulded
cornice below a low parapet. First floor piano nobile with
moulded platband at sill level, plain platband to second floor
sill level. The left hand bay of the 3-bay High Street
elevation is slightly set back with moulded brackets below the
cornice. On the ground floor it contains a carriage entrance
with a moulded segmental arch on granite jambs with chamferd
bases and moulded capitals. Fine paired 6-panel doors to the
carriagway, each ramped up to the centre and capped with iron
spikes. To the right 2 segmental-headed recessess with large
sash windows with moulded architraves and sills and apron
panels below. Both windows originally 12-pane, left hand
reglazed as 4-pane. 3 tall first floor 9/6-pane sashes with
moulded architraves, cornices on consoles with triasngular
pediments above. 3 round-headed first floor windows with
moulded architraves, glazed with small-pane sashes with spoke
glazing bars. The corner bay is recessed with brackets below
the cornice. Segmental-headed doorway with a moulded
architrave and original 2-leaf panelled door with a 2-pane
overlight. Symmetrical 3-bay Market Street elevation, the
windows matching the High Street elevation but the first floor
windows without cornices or pediments. Central doorway with
smart Ionic porch with stone columns with an entablature.
Steps up to a round-headed doorway with panelled reveals and a
pretty fanlight with a central roundel and teardrop glazing;
C20 front door.
Interior: Only partially inspected. Main bar largely
modernised, features of interest may survive on the first and
The grandest surviving building of the c.1836 Market Street
area development, supported by Buller of Downes, which was
sophisticated architecturally for a small provincial town.
Listing NGR: SS8320700329
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings