This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7915 / 50°47'29"N
Longitude: -3.6581 / 3°39'29"W
OS Eastings: 283228
OS Northings: 100409
OS Grid: SS832004
Mapcode National: GBR L8.ZK3P
Mapcode Global: FRA 3770.0P7
Entry Name: Council Offices
Listing Date: 2 October 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197083
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387072
Location: Crediton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Crediton
Built-Up Area: Crediton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Crediton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS826000 MARKET STREET
672-1/5/124 (West side)
Office building. Built for the Downes Estate,later a police
station, now used as council offices. Circa 1850. Flemish bond
brick with Bathstone dressings; slate roof; axial stack with
corbelled brick shaft. Italianate style.
Plan: double-depth,2 rooms wide with a central stair hall.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 5-bay front with a hipped
slate roof with deep eaves on moulded brackets with a cornice
below. The ground floor has a stone band rising as moulded
round-headed arches with keystones over the windows and door.
Central round-headed doorway with a large fanlight; C20
replacement door flanked by glazed vertical panels.
Round-headed ground floor windows recessed below the stone
arches with guaged brick arches, glazed with sash windows with
spoke glazing bars. 5 first floor 12-pane sashes with moulded
stone architraves and stone sills. The platbands are carried
round the returns, which also preserve their original sash
windows; some origianl sash windows visible on rear.
Interior: Contains original joinery and a stick baluster
Particularly important for group value with the 1836
buildings, both in Market Street and in Parliament Street.
Listing NGR: SS8322800409
Other nearby listed buildings