This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7893 / 50°47'21"N
Longitude: -3.6551 / 3°39'18"W
OS Eastings: 283435
OS Northings: 100164
OS Grid: SS834001
Mapcode National: GBR L8.ZRVD
Mapcode Global: FRA 3770.7VL
Entry Name: Spurways Almshouses
Listing Date: 19 March 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197087
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387087
Location: Crediton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Crediton
Built-Up Area: Crediton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Crediton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS834000 PARK STREET
672-1/6/137 (South side)
19/03/51 Nos.19-22 (Consecutive)
Row of 4 almshouses, now used as 2. C16 origins, major
alterations of the early C19 and C20. Snecked local volcanic
trap, some of the blocks unusually large, front elevation
partly plastered, returns and rear elevation roughcast; slate
roof, gabled at ends; front lateral stone stacks with renewed
Plan: rectangular with C20 single storey lean-tos at the rear.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 5-bay front, the 4 shouldered
lateral stacks projecting slightly with shoulders. The roof
rises in the centre bay which is wider and slightly recessed
on the ground floor behind a C19 chamfered timber post. Steps
up to the centre indicate that this was a doorway at one time.
Behind the post a pair of windows each with a cranked head and
sharing the same chamfered timber lintel. The lintel and left
hand jamb is late C16, the remainder is C19. Windows glazed
with lozenge leaded panes. All other windows are C19:
crank-headed 2-light iron casements with lozenge-shaped panes,
except for the first floor window in the centre bay which has
leaded panes. The bays flanking the centre each have a window
on the ground floor with a narrow blocked door alongside and
one first floor window. The outer bays have one ground and one
first floor window. The centre bay has a West of England fire
insurance sign attached. The walling of the left return of the
range is very uneven and a stack may have been removed. Rear
and return elevations have C20 casements; C20 half-glazed
timber doors to the rear.
Interior: Not available for inspection at time of survey but
may be of interest, including the possibility of an early roof
structure. Said to be dated 1557, endowed by Humphry Spurway.
Listing NGR: SS8343500164
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings