This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7915 / 50°47'29"N
Longitude: -3.657 / 3°39'25"W
OS Eastings: 283305
OS Northings: 100412
OS Grid: SS833004
Mapcode National: GBR L8.ZKCC
Mapcode Global: FRA 3770.13P
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 11 October 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197088
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387089
Location: Crediton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Crediton
Built-Up Area: Crediton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Crediton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS826000 PARLIAMENT STREET
672-1/5/141 (North side)
11/10/72 Nos.1-4 (Consecutive)
The Manor House
Large house divided into 4. Probably 1820s but incorporating
parts or material from the pre 1743 Manor House that stood on
this site. Stuccoed; slate roof; end stacks with brick shafts.
Plan: Overall U-plan.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 5-bay front. Deep eaves on
paired brackets with a reeded frieze below and an order of
paterae below the frieze. Central Tuscan porch with moulded
bases and capitals and pilasters to the rear. Recessed 6-panel
front door with a reeded doorcase. 4 ground floor and 4 first
floor original 8/12-pane sashes with some old glass.
Secondary, circa 1840s single storey brick lean-to addition
porch to the right with a Tudor arched doorway and 4-panel
door (No 4). The rear elevation includes sash windows to the
main block. The rear left wing has a good late C17 moulded
doorframe and C18 windows with square leaded panes on the
elevation facing into the courtyard, which is paved with
Interior: Not inspected on survey but noted as having grand
open well stair with stick balusters.
A building called the Manor House is shown on this site on the
plan of Crediton in 1743, the year of the great fire.
Listing NGR: SS8330500412
Other nearby listed buildings