This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7832 / 50°46'59"N
Longitude: -3.6469 / 3°38'48"W
OS Eastings: 283997
OS Northings: 99474
OS Grid: SX839994
Mapcode National: GBR L9.ZV8X
Mapcode Global: FRA 3770.R1V
Entry Name: Waiting Rooms Immediately South West of Crediton Station Main Range
Listing Date: 24 August 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197093
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387108
Location: Crediton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Crediton
Built-Up Area: Crediton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Crediton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX8399 STATION ROAD
672-1/4/157 Waiting Rooms immediately south west
24/08/89 of Crediton Station Main Range
Railway station waiting rooms. Mid C19, either 1851 for the
Exeter and Crediton Railway or, more likely, 1862 for the
LSWR. Timber-framed, clad with weatherboarding, on a brick
plinth; low-pitched hipped slate roof with lead rolls to hips
and ridge; cast iron gutters and downpipes.
Plan: Small rectangular 4-bay building, consisting of 2
separate waiting rooms;canopy over platform.
Exterior: Single storey. Asymmetrical 4-bay front, the 3 right
hand bays symmetrical. Full-height opening to left hand (east)
bay. The 3 right hand bays have a central half-glazed door
flanked by narrow 8-pane sashes. Canopy across the front
supported on the tie beams of the main roof augmented with 5
cast iron brackets decorated with roundels, matching the main
range on the opposite platform. The rear elevation and returns
Interior: The inside walls are boarded, the floor paved with
yellow brick. Original simple wooden benches are fixed to the
walls. Original roof construction complete and exposed:
substantial king post and strut trusses with short curved
braces below the tie beams, which project at the front to
carry the canopy.
Historical Note: The complicated early history of the line,
which began in 1838, led to its being known as 'The Vicar of
Bray Railway', but eventually the Crediton and Exeter Railway
(Act of 1845) was leased to the Bristol and Exeter Railway who
converted to broad guage and opened on 12 May 1851, until the
LSWR took over in 1862 (St John Thomas, pp.92-96).
Delightfully simple and unspoiled station building, one of an
interesting C19 group of various dates at Crediton station.
(A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: St John
Thomas, David,: The West Country: PP.92-96; The Buildings of
England: Pevsner, N., & Cherry, B.,: Devon: London: P.300).
Listing NGR: SX8399799474
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings