History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

White Cottage and Attached Garden Wall and Stable

A Grade II Listed Building in Crediton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7913 / 50°47'28"N

Longitude: -3.6545 / 3°39'16"W

OS Eastings: 283477

OS Northings: 100388

OS Grid: SS834003

Mapcode National: GBR L9.ZD0G

Mapcode Global: FRA 3770.22N

Entry Name: White Cottage and Attached Garden Wall and Stable

Listing Date: 11 October 1972

Last Amended: 27 July 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197124

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386953

Location: Crediton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Crediton

Built-Up Area: Crediton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Crediton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Crediton

Listing Text


CREDITON

SS834000 BELLE PARADE
672-1/6/5 (South side)
11/10/72 White Cottage and attached garden
wall and stable
(Formerly Listed as:
BELLE PARADE
(South side)
The White Cottage)

GV II

House. Early C18, perhaps a recasting of an earlier building,
with c.1890s extension and alterations for Mr. Francis of Dart
and Francis, alocal building firm.Roughcast cob, the 1890s
addition at the right (west) end roughcast brick; thatched
roof with a scalloped ridge, half hipped at left end, gabled
at right end. Stacks with modern brick shafts.
Plan: Single depth plan, 4 rooms wide.The left hand end was
added in brick in 1896 (information from the owner).A small
former stable adjoins the right end with a late C19 drawing
office added in front of it for Mr Francis of Dart and
Francis.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4 window garden (south)
front, the right hand addition slightly set back with a
different eaves line, the left hand end also with a different
eaves line. The thatch eaves have a gutter carried on moulded
timber brackets, probably 1896, eaves thatch eyebrowed over
the outer first floor windows with applied timber framing
above the windows. The centre block has an enclosed lean-to
porch to right of centre with a slate roof and c.1940s iron
frame glazed door.Small c.1900 window alongside to the right
with margin panes, 16-pane sash with timber shutters to the
left. These 2 windows are beneath a glazed verandah on a cast
iron column with a lapped glass roof. To the right a large
round-headed French window with small panes and margin lights.
This is also under a glazed roof between the porch and the
drawing office, which projects to the front at the right end.
3 16-pane first floor sashes. The addition to the right has
one ground and one first floor 2-light 1896 casement with 3
panes per light. The thatched stable at the right end has a
2-light loft window with the thatch eyebrowed over it. The
rear elevation to Belle Parade breaks forward at the right end
(the 1986 addition). This contains a re-sited C18 pedimented
doorcase with panelled pilasters and good carved detail and a
6-panel door, the bottom panels flush. To the left, in the
main block,a 2-light moulded mullion and transom window,
probably 1896 with co-eval stained glass and an C18
entablature and pediment above on moulded brackets. To the
left, on the first floor a good early C18 24-pane sash with
thick glazing bars and one opening pane. The stable block, to
the left, is lit by a 5-light ribbon window on the ground
floor with a small 2-light casement to the loft. To the right
of the rear a tall rendered garden wall with slate coping
contains an 2-centred arch doorway with aboarded door
Interior: Early features include a stick baluster stair with a
mahogany handrail, a very large panelled C18 door (possibly
re-used) to the ground floor right hand room and a couple of
early C18 re-sited 2-panel doors. Old roof timbers said to
survive.
Dart and Francis were primarily church builders in the late
C19 and undertook major commissions for Caroe, among others,
and worked outside the county and abroad. It is likely that Mr
Francis remodelled the whole house here as well as possibly
adding the sympathetic addition at the west end.


Listing NGR: SS8347700388

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.