History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boundary Wall to the West and North of Glebe House

A Grade II Listed Building in Crediton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7914 / 50°47'29"N

Longitude: -3.6527 / 3°39'9"W

OS Eastings: 283604

OS Northings: 100398

OS Grid: SS836003

Mapcode National: GBR L9.ZDFL

Mapcode Global: FRA 3770.2RF

Entry Name: Boundary Wall to the West and North of Glebe House

Listing Date: 11 October 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197127

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386965

Location: Crediton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Crediton

Built-Up Area: Crediton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Crediton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Crediton

Listing Text


CREDITON

SS834000 CHURCH STREET
672-1/6/16 Boundary wall to the west and north
11/10/72 of Glebe House

GV II

Boundary wall to Glebe House (q.v), formerly the vicarage.
Probably C18 or earlier, circa 1840 carriage/service entrance
on north side. Partly Posbury volcanic trap, partly roughcast
(probably cob) with slate coping; granite archway to carriage
entrance. The wall is about 3m high and curves in to the main
entrance to Glebe House in Church Street, where it is
constructed of small squared blocks of stone. This section may
be later than the remainder, which is roughcast on a stone
rubble plinth with a rounded corner at the junction of Church
Street and Belle Parade. On the Belle Parade side, to the
north of the house, it is gabled above a Gothic Revival
moulded granite 2-centred archway leading into the service
courtyard of the house. The doorway has a circa 1840 2-leaf
plank and cover strip door with an arched head.
Tall cob walls are an important part of the local character of
the East Town area of Crediton, around the parish church.


Listing NGR: SS8360400398

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.