History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

3-17, Victoria Place

A Grade II* Listed Building in Castle, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8951 / 54°53'42"N

Longitude: -2.9323 / 2°55'56"W

OS Eastings: 340303

OS Northings: 555993

OS Grid: NY403559

Mapcode National: GBR 7CYV.Y1

Mapcode Global: WH802.X7V5

Entry Name: 3-17, Victoria Place

Listing Date: 1 June 1949

Last Amended: 11 April 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197136

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386884

Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Carlisle

Listing Text


CARLISLE

NY4056NW VICTORIA PLACE
671-1/12/282 (South side)
01/06/49 Nos.3-17 (Odd)
and railings
(Formerly Listed as:
VICTORIA PLACE
(South side)
Nos.1-25 (Odd))

GV II*

Terrace of 8 houses, now offices. Late 1840s, early 1850s and
early 1880s. Calciferous sandstone ashlar on moulded plinth
with string course, cornice and dwarf solid parapet. Graduated
slate roof, one house with dormer; shared ridge brick chimney
stacks.
2 storeys, 3 bays each, except No.17 which has 4th bay over
carriage arch. Right and left paired doorways, up steps, have
panelled doors and overlights in prostyle Ionic porches. Sash
windows, some with glazing bars in plain stone reveals over
recessed aprons. Some houses have cellar windows and cast-iron
railed voids but others appear not to have had cellars. No.17
has left segmental carriage arch with railed gates.
INTERIORS not inspected.
This terrace and the one opposite have been carefully matched
with the earlier individual houses No.1 and No.2, so that they
appear of one build. Nos 1 and 2 are the only houses in the
street listed in the 1847 (Mannix and Whellan) Directory, but
by the 1851 Census the street ended at No.7. The 1873
Directory (Kelly's) still shows the street ending at No.7, but
in the 1880 Directory (Arthur's) No.9 had been built. Nos
11-17 appear for the first time in the 1884 Directory (Barnes
Moss). J Cornforth, Country Life (1978), illustrates and
refers to this as "the best late-classical street" in the
city, but he queries the date of construction, hence the above
notes.
Nos 13, 15 & 17 were listed on 13.11.72.
(Country Life: 11 May 1978: P.1331/2).


Listing NGR: NY4030355993

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.