This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8939 / 54°53'37"N
Longitude: -2.9269 / 2°55'36"W
OS Eastings: 340646
OS Northings: 555850
OS Grid: NY406558
Mapcode National: GBR 8C0V.4H
Mapcode Global: WH803.08H4
Entry Name: Church of Our Lady and St Joseph
Listing Date: 11 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197148
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386906
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Aidan
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY4055 WARWICK ROAD
671-1/11/302 (South side)
Church of Our Lady and St Joseph
Roman Catholic church. 1891-3 by Dunn, Hansom and Dunn of
Newcastle. Red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth, with
stepped buttresses, string courses and eaves cornice.
Graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables and cross
finials; decorative ridge tiles.
West 3-storey tower; 8-bay nave/chancel under common roof,
with aisles and contemporary south porch; in Perpendicular
Tower has west double doors in pointed arch within a cusped
and pedimented porch with Statue of Our Lady; left angle
turret projects and rises above battlemented parapet; small 2-
and 3-light traceried window; belfry has pierced quatrefoil
panels with cusped heads under flat arches. Aisles have
traceried 3-light cusped-headed windows under flat arches; the
north aisle has broad and narrow interval buttresses. 2-light
cusped-headed clerestory windows under flat arches. East
window of flowing tracery is based on the Bishop's Eye at
INTERIOR: screened baptistry with organ gallery projecting
from the tower arch above. 7-bay aisles have grouped and
octagonal columns under pointed moulded arches. Open timber
vaulted roof with carved angel corbels. Open late C19 pine
benches. Late C19 and early C20 unsigned figurative stained
glass in some windows. Chancel has carved wooden figure in
elaborately figured carved surround under canopy, against east
HISTORY: An earlier design for a church on this site by the
same architects, dated 1877, was published (see Carlisle
Library Collection). Plans for the church are in Cumbria
County Record Office, Ca/E1/339 and Ca/E4/2432. The foundation
stone was laid on 18 May 1891, on land belonging to the Duke
of Devonshire. It cost »10,000 and opened in 1893.
The Presbytery of red brick adjoining the church is of the
same date and architect (not included).
Listing NGR: NY4064655850
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings