This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8991 / 54°53'56"N
Longitude: -2.9384 / 2°56'18"W
OS Eastings: 339919
OS Northings: 556448
OS Grid: NY399564
Mapcode National: GBR 7CXS.NL
Mapcode Global: WH802.T4Y2
Entry Name: City Boundary Stone at Ny 3993 5645
Listing Date: 11 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197149
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386910
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3956SE WEAVERS BANK
671-1/6/308 (North side)
City boundary stone at NY 3993 5645
City boundary stone. 1830s or 1840s. Calciferous sandstone.
Square stone with flattened top set into the ground. Inscribed
on 2 faces C.C. (City of Carlisle) and on another face DIXON
(the then Mayor); the lettering is partly cut away by angle
flaking. The only surviving boundary stone of this period when
the city boundary was extended to the south bank of the River
Eden. As leave was sought by the city to mark the boundary on
Eden Bridge in 1836 (Carlisle Journal 2 July 1836) it is
possible that this stone was erected during the Mayoral office
of Peter Dixon in 1838; however, a number of members of the
Dixon family were Mayors up to 1853. The stone appears in this
position on the 1865 OS map of the city.
Listing NGR: NY3991956448
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings