This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8936 / 54°53'36"N
Longitude: -2.9385 / 2°56'18"W
OS Eastings: 339902
OS Northings: 555829
OS Grid: NY399558
Mapcode National: GBR 7CXV.ML
Mapcode Global: WH802.T8WC
Entry Name: West City Walls
Listing Date: 1 June 1949
Last Amended: 11 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197151
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386918
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3955NE WEST WALLS
671-1/10/310 (West side)
01/06/49 West City Walls
(Formerly Listed as:
Remains of City Walls at West Walls)
City walls. C12 with extensive rebuilding and refacing of
1746, 1876-7, 1985, 1988-9. Squared blocks of red sandstone
with some calciferous sandstone (some re-used Roman stone),
partly with chamfered plinth and partly battered.
Gently curving wall which projects at its northern end, built
against a river terrace as a retaining wall; the West Walls
street is at the higher level behind and the pavement forms
the parapet walk along the wall.
The northern projection was rebuilt or refaced in 1876-7, when
the nearby railway was re-aligned; set into the end of this
part of the wall is the inscription stone WEST WALLS.
Off-centre external stone steps to the Town Dyke Orchard were
added in 1883; the parapet between the steps and the
projection was rebuilt in new red sandstone in 1985.
Further south a number of buildings were constructed against
the wall and these were demolished in 1988; the wall behind
needed partial rebuilding and this was done with red sandstone
from the demolished buildings. The foundation stone from each
demolished building was incorporated; THE FAWCETT SCHOOLS
(dated 1851 in Roman numerals); the mayor and date 1879 for
the police station extension, the mayor and date 1840 for the
police station; recording the restoration, a stone with the
mayor's name and date 1988, the unveiling was on 21 April
At southern end of the exposed wall are the Sallyport steps
which were added c1813 and nearby is the medieval sallyport
opening, now merely an arched recess. The wall continues
beyond the Sallyport steps, but is concealed by buildings; for
the listing of the remainder of the wall to the south see Nos
10-22 West Walls (qv) and for the northernmost stretch see
under Carlisle Castle (qv). For an engraving of the West Walls
when complete in 1745 by the Buck Brothers, see J Cornforth,
Country Life, (1978).
Listing NGR: NY3990255828
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings