This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.676 / 51°40'33"N
Longitude: 0.3206 / 0°19'14"E
OS Eastings: 560551
OS Northings: 200023
OS Grid: TL605000
Mapcode National: GBR YD.1HG
Mapcode Global: VHHMX.H4WH
Entry Name: Barn 20 Metres South East of Hay Green Farmhouse
Listing Date: 9 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197169
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373328
Location: Blackmore, Hook End and Wyatts Green, Brentwood, Essex, CM4
Civil Parish: Blackmore, Hook End and Wyatts
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Blackmore St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL60SW HAY GREEN LANE
723-1/2/25 (North West side)
Barn 20 metres south-east of Hay
Barn. Early C17, incorporating fragment of late medieval
building. Timber-framed, weatherboarded, roofed with handmade
red clay tiles. The main barn is early C17, of 5 bays with
central midstrey facing S. It is attached at the right end to
2 bays of a late medieval building formerly of 2 storeys,
possibly of domestic origin. C19 and C20 single-storey
attached buildings to front left and rear right.
EXTERIOR: the original great doorway of the midstrey has been
boarded over, with one fixed light and one plain boarded door.
Dormer in catslide roof to left of midstrey. The rear wall has
the original great doorway, 3 high loading doors, and a halved
door to the medieval part.
INTERIOR: the main barn has unjowled posts, heavy studding and
girts, primary straight bracing, face-halved and bladed scarfs
in the wallplates, cambered tie-beams with arched braces, and
queen post roof. Some of the studding below the girts have
been replaced, and some parts bricked up to the girts. The
left end wall is faced with red brick in Flemish bond to
tie-beam level, the studding of the gable exposed. Some of the
rafters have been replaced, reportedly under war damage. The
cladding retains some hardwood weatherboards, mostly softwood.
The medieval building has jowled posts, heavy studding with
curved braces trenched to the outside, girts and jointing for
former binding beams of the original floor, removed. In the
right end wall there are 6 diamond mortices and a square
groove in the soffit of the tie-beam for former unglazed
windows with sliding shutters. Cambered tie-beams with arched
braces. The walls have been raised approx 0.6m in the C18,
with bladed scarfs in the wallplates, and the roof re-built in
clasped purlin form to align with that of the main barn. The
C19 attached building to front left is of red brick in Flemish
bond, roofed with red clay pantiles. Shown in estate map of
1832 and highway diversion map of 1810.
(Essex Record Office: D/DQ 50/6,Q/RHI 3/63).
Listing NGR: TL6055100023
Other nearby listed buildings