History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ray Place Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Blackmore, Hook End and Wyatts Green, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6658 / 51°39'56"N

Longitude: 0.3287 / 0°19'43"E

OS Eastings: 561146

OS Northings: 198904

OS Grid: TQ611989

Mapcode National: GBR YD.PJY

Mapcode Global: VHHMX.ND4B

Entry Name: Ray Place Farmhouse

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Last Amended: 9 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197174

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373338

Location: Blackmore, Hook End and Wyatts Green, Brentwood, Essex, CM15

County: Essex

District: Brentwood

Civil Parish: Blackmore, Hook End and Wyatts

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Blackmore St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Mountnessing

Listing Text


BLACKMORE

TQ69NW MOUNTNESSING ROAD
723-1/6/35 (West side)
20/02/67 Ray Place Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
BRENTWOOD
MOUNTNESSING ROAD, Blackmore
Ray Place)

GV II

House. C16 and early C18, extended in C20. Timber-framed,
plastered and weatherboarded, red and black brick in header,
Flemish and stretcher bonds, roofed with handmade red clay
tiles. C16 2-bay range aligned N-S with axial stack, and to NE
of it, early C18 parallel range facing E, with an external
stack at each end. At the S end of the front range is a C20
single-storey lean-to with a weatherboarded loft over. In the
NW angle is a C20 single-storey extension and gabled porch.
Single-storey ancillary range to N of front range,
weatherboarded, roofed with similar tiles.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Symmetrical elevation, with 5-window
range of C20 sashes of 6+6 lights in original apertures, all
with flat arches of gauged brick; the inner 2 on the ground
floor have soffits shaped to a curved profile. Central door
with 6 fielded panels, repaired or extended at bottom. Moulded
architrave, the mouldings rising to a point over the door;
flat canopy on profiled brackets. The front elevation is in
header bond, mostly black, with window jambs and arches of red
brick. Band of 3 courses of red brick in Flemish bond at
first-floor level, interrupted over the door, ceasing before
the returns. All pointed with cement mortar. On the right jamb
of the window to left of the door is an inscription 'EG.
1721', another, 'I.G.' just above it, and in a similar
position on the window to the left, another, 'H.G.', probably
indicating the owners and date of construction of the front
range. Near the right return are other inscriptions, '1726',
'A.S 1787' and 'A.F.F. 1867', and later graffiti. Moulded and
modillioned wooden eaves cornice. Hipped roof with two C20
casements of 3+6 lights in dormers with shallow segmental
gables. The side elevations and stacks are in Flemish bond
with many black headers; similar eaves cornice at right end,
on each side of stack. The rear elevation of the front range
is weatherboarded. The rear elevation of the rear range is of
red brick in Flemish bond; the right gable end is of C20 red
brick in stretcher bond, with a circular window; C20 casements
to rear.
INTERIOR: much altered. In the rear wall of the front range
some hardwood studding and primary straight bracing is exposed
on the first floor, with chisel-cut assembly marks. In the
rear range, above the ground floor, is an axial beam with
mortices for missing studs, and a triangular groove for wattle
infill; plain joists of vertical section. Half-cellar at left
end. So little of the frame is exposed that the proposed
dating of the rear range is tentative. The brick front
elevation has close similarities to that of No.98, High
Street, Ingatestone (qv).


Listing NGR: TQ6114698904

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.