History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Heron Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Herongate and Ingrave, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6009 / 51°36'3"N

Longitude: 0.3654 / 0°21'55"E

OS Eastings: 563919

OS Northings: 191771

OS Grid: TQ639917

Mapcode National: GBR NKM.H7N

Mapcode Global: VHJKS.9111

Entry Name: Heron Hall

Listing Date: 21 October 1958

Last Amended: 9 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197182

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373366

Location: Herongate and Ingrave, Brentwood, Essex, CM13

County: Essex

District: Brentwood

Civil Parish: Herongate and Ingrave

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Ingrave St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Hutton

Listing Text


BRENTWOOD

TQ6391 BILLERICAY ROAD, Herongate
723-1/13/169 (North side (off))
21/10/58 Heron Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
BILLERICAY ROAD, Herongate
(North side)
No.50
Heron Hall)

GV II

Formerly known as: No.50 Heron Hall Farmhouse BILLERICAY ROAD.

House. Late C17, altered in C19 and C20. Red and blue brick in
Flemish bond, roofed mainly with handmade red clay tiles, some
machine-made red clay tiles. Double range plan, one range
aligned approximately N-S with 2 internal stacks, a shorter
range to W of it, with a gable stack to S, and lower E-W
service range occupying the remainder of the rectangle and
projecting to the NE, with one internal stack against the S
wall. Entrance elevation to S C20 conservatory along full
length of W elevation, C20 single-storey lean-to and stack to
N.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. The blue headers and red stretchers form
a regular pattern; cement pointing. C20 6-panel door at front
of early C19 gabled brick porch, with semi-elliptical arch of
gauged brick and fanlight with geometrical and foliate
cast-iron tracery. All windows are 3-light casements with
segmental brick arches. In the front elevation, on the ground
floor, one casement is a C20 replacement in original aperture,
and one is original, but partly covered by the porch,
retaining one fixed light and one wrought-iron casement, both
with rectangular leading, and heavy iron bars of diamond
section; on the first floor, two C20 replacements in original
apertures. Parapet gables. In the left elevation all are C20
replacements, but 3 apertures on each floor and one at
half-height appear to be original. The rear elevation of the
service wing has 2 original windows, complete, and one C20
replacement, and on the first floor one original window (apart
from the central casement) and one replacement in original
aperture. The right elevation of the service wing retains an
original door-frame and segmental arch, door altered. This
roof is hipped at both ends. The right elevation of the main
house has on the ground floor two C20 replacements in original
apertures, and on the first floor 3 windows which are
original, with rectangular leading and early glass, except the
replaced central casements.
INTERIOR: few early features are visible. On the first floor
in a corridor wall near the left elevation is an oval borrowed
light with geometrical tracery. The service wing has an old
brick floor and cooking hearth; much of the first floor is
missing. Butt-purlin roof.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this house was probably built by John Tyrell,
1593-1675, whose initials appear in wrought-iron in 2
associated buildings with similar brickwork. It is not certain
when he inherited the manor from his brother Thomas, but as a
Royalist he suffered losses in the Civil War and under the
Commonwealth. After the Restoration he became MP for Maldon.
It is likely that the house and associated buildings were
built after 1661.
(Morant P: The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex:
1768-: 208-211).


Listing NGR: TQ6391991771

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.