This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5991 / 51°35'56"N
Longitude: 0.2978 / 0°17'52"E
OS Eastings: 559240
OS Northings: 191416
OS Grid: TQ592914
Mapcode National: GBR XP.V21
Mapcode Global: VHHN9.32SG
Entry Name: Chapel of the Royal Anglian Regiment and Essex Regiment
Listing Date: 20 February 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197197
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373401
Location: Brentwood, Essex, CM13
Electoral Ward/Division: Warley
Built-Up Area: Brentwood
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Warley Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/09/2014
BRENTWOOD, Great Warley,
CLIVE ROAD (West side),
Chapel of the Royal Anglian Regiment and the Essex Regiment
(Formerly listed as Chapel of the Essex Regiment )
Chapel. 1857. By Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt. Yellow brick with red brick detailing and string courses, slate roofs. Early Christian style. Nave with clerestory, side aisles and chancel with eastern apse. Campanile c 1955 (Pevsner, Essex) added to south of west end.
EXTERIOR: South elevation, west to east, campanile in yellow brick, ground-floor round headed window, colonnaded belfry of 4 round headed arches, pyramidal copper roof, nave 5 bays, clerestory and side aisle, coupled round arched windows in square recessed panels with red brick corbel table. East end bay has a framed and panelled door, panels decorated with linenfold and stylised leaves. Chancel, single round headed window to clerestory, to aisle small single-storey transverse gabled block (in style of prothesis or diaconicon), coupled segment headed window. North elevation similar to south except that aisle stops short of west end by one bay - ground-floor window, coupled pair of round arched windows under round headed arched label. At east end final bay single storey, gabled with round headed window - chancel continues with single round headed window. East elevation, chancel end wall with recessed panels - red brick, cusped corbel table, lower apse - 5 round headed windows, ground-floor gable to north and south recessed panels with windows coupled under round arched label. South gabled unit has a boarded door with decorative iron-work. West end elevation. Campanile to south, ground floor coupled, round arched windows under arched label, tall round headed window to first floor, belfry as on south elevation. Nave, large recessed panel with cusped red brick corbel table, octofoil rose window in square recess. Ground floor, round headed west doorway with red brick label, tympanum with mosaic panels, nook shafts with leaf capitals. Doorway has decorative red brick gable above with cusped red brick corbel table either side and 2 round headed windows each side. Door framed with linenfold panels with upper leaf decoration. North aisle, coupled round arched windows under round arched label.
INTERIOR: nave - stone piers, leaf capitals with dosserets, arcade of round arches, nail-head decoration. Clerestory as continuous arcade of paired windows under arch with linking minor blind recessed arches. Chancel defined by triple arcade across church and 2 arches within defining presbytery and apse. Roof of simple king posts and queen struts on straight tie-beams. Side aisles, wooden panelled dado. East and west ends of nave have delicate classical wooden screens in Tuscan style. Gallery at west. Pews with ends carved with memorial inscriptions and heraldry. Pulpit of pedestal type.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Essex: 1965: 287).
Listing NGR: TQ5924091416
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings