History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Maxes

A Grade II Listed Building in Herongate and Ingrave, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5987 / 51°35'55"N

Longitude: 0.3489 / 0°20'56"E

OS Eastings: 562784

OS Northings: 191487

OS Grid: TQ627914

Mapcode National: GBR NKL.R1W

Mapcode Global: VHJKS.02BR

Entry Name: Maxes

Listing Date: 20 February 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197203

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373424

Location: Herongate and Ingrave, Brentwood, Essex, CM13

County: Essex

District: Brentwood

Civil Parish: Herongate and Ingrave

Built-Up Area: Ingrave

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Ingrave St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Hutton

Listing Text


BRENTWOOD

TQ6291 CRICKETERS LANE, Herongate
723-1/13/188 (North East side)
20/02/76 No.59
Maxes

II

House. C18, altered in C19 and C20. Timber-framed, plastered
and weatherboarded, roofed with slate. Main range facing SW
with cross-wings at both ends, extending forwards, each with
an internal stack. 3 adjacent wings to rear of different
widths.
2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 late C19/early C20 splayed bays of
casements, with moulded plaster parapets. First floor, 3 late
C19/early C20 casements. All the front windows are transomed,
with Tudor style heads. Tudor style plaster labels over
first-floor windows. A glazed porch occupies the space between
the projecting wings, with double half-glazed doors and a
balcony over with wrought-iron railing. Low-pitched roofs. The
rear elevation is weatherboarded on the ground floor,
plastered above.
INTERIOR: late C18 stair at rear of entrance hall, with 2
slender turned balusters to each step, and a wreathed and
moulded mahogany handrail. No framing is exposed internally,
but the main range has a axial beam, and each cross-wing has a
transverse beam, all with plaster mouldings. Moulded plaster
coving in the ground-floor rooms. The left ground-floor room
has an early C19 recessed cupboard, and the right ground-floor
room has a recess beside the fireplace with a semi-elliptical
arch.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this house was recorded as a cottage in 1733,
and in Chapman and Andre's map of 1777 it is shown as Marshes.
It was enlarged by Richard Woods, surveyor, shortly before
1791, who also enclosed 2« x 9« roods of common, and was then
called Maxes. In a sale catalogue of 1901 it was described as
Park House, then with 5 acres of garden, and c1970 reverted to
the name Maxes. At that time a large extension to the left,
including a belvedere, was demolished (shown in a photograph
in the owner's possession).


Listing NGR: TQ6278491487

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.