This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6175 / 51°37'3"N
Longitude: 0.3372 / 0°20'14"E
OS Eastings: 561906
OS Northings: 193553
OS Grid: TQ619935
Mapcode National: GBR YH.RPQ
Mapcode Global: VHHN3.SLMW
Entry Name: Hare Hall
Listing Date: 10 February 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197216
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373451
Location: Brentwood, Essex, CM13
Electoral Ward/Division: Hutton South
Built-Up Area: Brentwood
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Ingrave St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ69SW HANGING HILL LANE, Hutton
723-1/9/194 (South East side)
House. Late C16, renovated c1965. Timber-framed, partly
underbuilt with C20 yellow brick, partly plastered with
exposed false framing, partly weatherboarded, roofed with
machine-made and handmade red clay tiles, mixed. 3 bays
aligned approximately N-S, with C20 axial stack between middle
and N bays. C20 single-storey lean-to extension at each end.
2 storeys. All windows are C20 casements except one originally
unglazed window on the upper storey of the rear elevations of
the S bay, which is complete, with 3 diamond mullions, and C20
glazing outside. C20 door at rear, in glazed porch. The
ground-floor walls are of C20 brick. The upper storey of the W
elevation, facing Hanging Hill Lane, is plastered, with
exposed false framing. The upper storey of the rear elevation
INTERIOR: unjowled posts, heavy studding with arched bracing
trenched to the inside. Frame wholly of oak of good quality,
fully jointed and pegged. Most of the ground-floor studding is
missing, except in the cross-wall between the middle and S
bays; external walls rebuilt in brick. The N and middle bays
have chamfered axial and transverse beams with large lamb's
tongue stops, and exposed plain joists of horizontal section.
In the S bay the floor structure is similar, but the soffit of
the axial beam has been removed to increase clearance. On the
upper storey the original studding and bracing is almost
complete. Wallplates chamfered with runout stops. Splint
fitted at an early date to reinforce a scarf in the front
wallplate; type of scarfs uncertain. Original clasped purlin
roof with arched wind-bracing, complete. The use of lamb's
tongue stops in original members indicates that this house was
built after 1565. The survival of one unglazed window, and
evidence of others, and the joists of horizontal section,
indicate that it was built before 1600. The arched bracing
inside the studs, and the form of roof, are both compatible
with this period. As the joists appear to be complete the
original heating is assumed to have been by a rear stack.
(Historic Buildings in Essex 2: McCann J: The Introduction of
the Lamb's Tongue Stop: 1985-).
Listing NGR: TQ6190693553
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings