History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old School, Brentwood School

A Grade II Listed Building in Brentwood, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6207 / 51°37'14"N

Longitude: 0.3064 / 0°18'23"E

OS Eastings: 559764

OS Northings: 193841

OS Grid: TQ597938

Mapcode National: GBR XN.HYB

Mapcode Global: VHHN3.8JCD

Entry Name: Old School, Brentwood School

Listing Date: 21 October 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197226

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373485

Location: Brentwood, Essex, CM15

County: Essex

District: Brentwood

Town: Brentwood

Electoral Ward/Division: Brentwood South

Built-Up Area: Brentwood

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Brentwood St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Brentwood

Listing Text


BRENTWOOD

TQ5993 INGRAVE ROAD
723-1/12/85 (North East side)
21/10/58 Old School, Brentwood School

GV II

Schoolroom, now part of larger school. 1568, dormitory over
added 1855, extended in C18/19. By Edmund and Dorothy
Huddlestone. Red brick in English bond, extensions in Flemish
bond, with limestone dressings to windows, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. Rectangular plan aligned NW-SE,
abutting on later buildings at both ends. The original school
was a single-storey classroom 10.33 x 6.01m internally.
EXTERIOR: the SW long wall of the original building, facing
Ingrave Road, has two C19 stone mullioned casements of 3
lights and 2 of 2 lights, and a central doorway with chamfered
jambs and Tudor arch leading to an C18/19 long porch which
terminates at the street boundary and is blocked there, with a
C19 parapet gable, roofed with machine-made red clay tiles.
The original brickwork rises to a height of approximately
4.50m. 0.70m below the top are 3 rectangular apertures with
iron grills. The C19 upper storey has four 2-light casements
in similar style to those below, and a dogtooth eaves course.
C18/19 brick walls abut on the porch, forming the boundary
with the street. The NE elevation has on the ground floor 2
stone mullioned casements of 4 lights with a straight head and
segmental rear-arch; the stonework is partly restored. The
bricks are 0.23 x 0.11 x 0.05m, 4 courses rising 0.27m. A
stone plaque states that the Elizabethan brickwork was
restored and re-pointed in 1963, architect Rex Foster. Cement
render to 0.25m above ground; tiled step 1.95m above ground.
On the first floor are two 3-light casements in similar style.
2 skylights in this pitch of roof. Parapet gables to NW and SE
In the middle of the NW wall, abutting on School House (qv),
is an original doorway, arch missing, with an old plain
boarded and ledged door and hinges, and above it a foundation
stone with Latin inscriptions and the date 1568 on both sides.
INTERIOR: semi-elliptical barrel-vault plaster ceiling,
probably original, with moulded cornices on both long sides.
Numerous graffiti on the wooden sills of the NE windows. In
the middle of the NE wall is a C19/20 fireplace and late
C16/early C17 carved oak overmantel and canopy removed in 1953
from the demolished Weald Hall, South Weald, home of the
founder of the school, Sir Antony Browne. Also in 1953 oak
panelling removed from Mitre House (qv) was installed here; at
the NW end this is late C16, the remainder C19. Illustrations
of c1820 and 1847 show the SW elevation as having 4 plain
rectangular windows with wooden mullions and diamond glazing,
one axial stack near the middle and one at the right end, and
2 windows in the left gable end; there last have been seen
during building operations in 1926 and earlier. The porch and
boundary wall are shown much as at present, except that the
doorway with a semi-elliptical head was in use, and the
parapet gable over it was not shown. An internal photograph of
c1913 shows an iron stove against the NE wall, and a boarded
dado removed for the present panelling; other features as at
present.
(Lewis RR: The History of Brentwood School: 1981-: 20-22,
120-1).


Listing NGR: TQ5976493841

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.