This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6194 / 51°37'9"N
Longitude: 0.2686 / 0°16'7"E
OS Eastings: 557151
OS Northings: 193611
OS Grid: TQ571936
Mapcode National: GBR WT.LD8
Mapcode Global: VHHN2.LKWF
Entry Name: Browne's Charity Almshouses and Chapel
Listing Date: 21 October 1958
Last Amended: 9 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197264
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373592
Location: Brentwood, Essex, CM14
Electoral Ward/Division: South Weald
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: South Weald St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ5793 WIGLEY BUSH LANE, South Weald
723-1/16/299 (East side)
21/10/58 Nos.1-10 (consec) Browne's Charity
Almshouses and Chapel
(Formerly Listed as:
VICARAGE LANE, South Weald
The Almshouses (Browne's Charity))
Formerly known as: The Almshouses South Weald Village.
Almshouses. 1858. By S Teulon. Red brick with stone dressings
to windows and doors, peg-tiled roof. Long group, stepped down
along Wigley Bush Lane. Plan comprises 10 cottage units in a
row with central chapel with axis at right angles, group
breaks forward roughly symmetrically each side of chapel and N
and S end cottages have axes at right angles to create
prominent gable ends as belvederes with ornamental figures in
Gothic niches. A classical composition with Gothic detail.
Well head, free standing, set at break forward, S of chapel.
Cottage units single storey, with one large and one smaller
room, expressed with 3-light and 2-light casement windows,
front door between. Windows have mullions and transoms with
diamond leaded panes. Doors boarded with iron work in arched
doorhead with rectangular surround. Roof steep and eaves
carried forward on brackets to create a pentice. Stack at each
gable end. Chapel W gable end, buttressed angles, 3-light
window in 2-centred arch with geometrical tracery, head stops
to labels and lifted string course below framing. Cross and
lozenges in burnt headers. Well head octagonal with pierced
trefoiled lights containing a pump with date. Frieze with text
from Proverbs below pointed roof.
INTERIOR of typical house has narrow larder in line with front
door and larger principal room with inscription on fireplace
lintel. Bedroom undecorated. At rear, kitchen out-shut
projects into house yard, free standing WC set away from back
door in yard. The original arrangement of the rear of the
houses now obscured in some units due to C20 rebuilding and
addition encroaching and virtually filling some of the yards.
Listing NGR: TQ5715193611
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings