History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Heatley Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Brentwood, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6297 / 51°37'46"N

Longitude: 0.3194 / 0°19'9"E

OS Eastings: 560631

OS Northings: 194869

OS Grid: TQ606948

Mapcode National: GBR YG.TFY

Mapcode Global: VHHN3.H97H

Entry Name: Heatley Cottage

Listing Date: 20 February 1976

Last Amended: 9 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197266

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373598

Location: Brentwood, Essex, CM15

County: Essex

District: Brentwood

Town: Brentwood

Electoral Ward/Division: Shenfield

Built-Up Area: Brentwood

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Shenfield St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Brentwood

Listing Text


BRENTWOOD

TQ69SW WORRIN ROAD, Shenfield
723-1/9/281 (North East side)
20/02/76 Heatley Cottage
(Formerly Listed as:
WARRIN ROAD, Shenfield
Heatley Cottage)

GV II

House. c1600, altered 1953-5. Timber-framed, framing exposed,
with C20 brick nogging and plaster infill, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. Main range of 4 bays aligned NE-SW
(main elevation to NW), original external stack to rear of
second bay from left end, and 2-storey corridor extension
along remainder of rear. Wing to rear of stack, and C20
single-storey lean-to extension in rear left angle. C17
external stack at right end, and small single-storey lean-to
extension to rear of it.
2 storeys and cellar. 5 C20 casements on each floor, some in
early C17 style, with leaded diamond panes. C20 door in gabled
porch in right gable end in Tudor Revival style. C20 brick
nogging in ground floor front, the remainder plastered between
the framing, some of which is introduced. The rear elevation
of the rear wing has 2 carved timbers, introduced. C19/20
cruciform shafts on main stack, C20 grouped diagonal shafts on
right stack. C20 carved bargeboards.
INTERIOR: the plan comprises a central room of 2 unequal bays,
and a single-bay room at each end, on both floors, all with
original entrances from the rear. The central ground-floor
room has a chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops, and
plain joists of vertical section. 2 high windows have
ovolo-moulded mullions and surrounds, and diamond saddle bars,
mainly C19 imitation, introduced 1953-5 from another building;
one mullion is C17. Original central doorway in left end with
introduced or altered C17 head. Fireplace with depressed arch
in the longer (left) bay; some traces of original pink paint
on the bricks above. The left ground-floor room has a similar
beam, joists and window; some original wattle and daub infill
in rear wall, and original doorway with chamfered jambs and
straight head to rear, to cellar below. The right ground-floor
room has a similar beam and window, and a hearth with rear
splays and rebuilt depressed arch. On the upper floor there is
an original doorway with straight head near the front corner
of the middle room, and a face-halved and bladed scarf in the
wallplate near it. Originally these rooms were open to the
roof; the intermediate truss of the central room is framed
without a tie-beam; this room has a chamfered axial beam with
hollow-moulded jambs and depressed arch, altered. The right
first-floor room has a fireplace with chamfered jambs and
depressed arch, altered; pegging for studs indicates that
originally this room was unheated. Clasped purlin roof of
heavy construction, the rear pitch raised to cover the rear
corridor; some reused rafters from a medieval hall house.
Numerous features from other buildings, particularly at the
rear, were introduced in the course of a major renovation
1953-5. These confuse interpretation of the original
structure. 6 original chamfered doorways with straight heads
in the rear elevation, with carpenters' assembly marks,
opening into the 3 main rooms on each floor, indicate that
formerly there was another building to the rear which has
since been demolished, and replaced by the present rear
extensions.
(Scott D: Historic Buildings in Essex: 1985-: 1, 22-3).


Listing NGR: TQ6063194869

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.