This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6783 / 51°40'41"N
Longitude: 0.3724 / 0°22'20"E
OS Eastings: 564118
OS Northings: 200391
OS Grid: TL641003
Mapcode National: GBR NJN.QYC
Mapcode Global: VHJKD.D2QQ
Entry Name: Huskards
Listing Date: 20 February 1976
Last Amended: 9 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197277
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373613
Location: Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood, Essex, CM4
Civil Parish: Ingatestone and Fryerning
Built-Up Area: Fryerning
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Fryerning St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING
20/02/76 BACK LANE
(North West side)
(Formerly Listed as:
House, now divided into 5 apartments. Early C18, extended in late C19 and early C20. Red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Originally comprised a double-range main block facing SW, with 2 stacks in each side wall, and a wing set back at each side and extending to the rear, the left longer than the right. The right wing remains much as built, with minor late C19 alterations. To left of the main block the space in front of the left wing has been infilled in 1878, with a curvilinear gable facing forwards, and an additional wing to left of it added in 1902, with a curvilinear gable and gable stack at the front. This wing extends further back than the original left wing, and an early C20 single-storey lean-to had been added in the rear angle between them.
2 storeys and attics. Early C20 single-storey extension to front of main block, almost full width, with flat roof and railed gallery above. This extension has 6 sashes with glazing bars in the upper lights and single lower lights, and central panelled double doors with side-lights and overlights. First floor, 5 sashes of 9+9 lights with segmental flat-arches of gauged brick, some with ovolo-moulded wide glazing bars and crown glass. Attic, 3 casements in hipped dormers. Dentilled brick cornice and plain parapet. At the right return is a rainwater head embossed: 1735 H C A and a similar rainwater head is at the right return of the right wing. The first wing to the left has a moulded brick panel with the date 1878, and the second wing to the left has a datestone of 1902. The side and rear windows are a complex mixture of early C18 sashes with ovolo-moulded glazing bars, some with crown glass, and C19 and C20 sashes and replicas. Each apartment has a ground-floor entrance with C20 panelled door and doorcase in classical style, 2 to the left and 2 to the rear.
INTERIOR: retains many original features, including at the rear a half-glazed inner door; 3-flight stair with moulded handrail, turned balusters, closed string, and ovolo-moulded panelled dado; with some ovolo-moulded 6-panel doors. Ovolo-moulded ribs on some of the ceilings may be original.
This house has a complicated history of alterations, in at least 2 stages while still a private dwelling, then as an old people's home, then to its present form, and external and internal features of all of them. Original features should be identified and retained in any future alterations.
Listing NGR: TL6411800391
Other nearby listed buildings