This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.683 / 51°40'58"N
Longitude: 0.3532 / 0°21'11"E
OS Eastings: 562776
OS Northings: 200872
OS Grid: TL627008
Mapcode National: GBR NJN.D3K
Mapcode Global: VHJK6.2YKP
Entry Name: Lyndsay Hall
Listing Date: 9 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197280
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373619
Location: Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood, Essex, CM4
Civil Parish: Ingatestone and Fryerning
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Fryerning St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING
TL60SW BEGGAR HILL, Fryerning
723-1/2/337 (East side)
House. CIS and late C16, altered and extended in C20. Timber-framed, pastered with some exposed framing, roofed with handmade red_clay tiles. Late C16 2-bay main range facing NW. CIS 2-bay cross-wing to left, late' C16 2-bay cross-wing to right with C18 axial stack to rear of middle. Extensive C20 additions to left, right and rear. All windows are C20 casements. C20 door in middle of main range. The left cross-wing is jettied to the front. The cross-wings have exposed framing, much altered, and much of it false. INTERIOR: most of the frame is concealed by plaster internally, but in the left cross-wing plain heavy joists of horizontal section are partly exposed in the rear bay, and the wallplates and tie-beams are exposed; cambered central tie-beam, crownpost roof, chamfered rectangular crownpost with mortices for missing axial braces, collar-purlin incomplete at front, extending to gablet hip at rear. The ~ain range was built in 2 storeys originally but the floor has been removed to form a large stair hall, and an axial stack has been removed from the shorter right bay. The original ceiling above the left bay has a chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops, now connected to a C20 transverse beam at the right end; joists plastered to the soffits. Original roof complete in left bay, altered in right bay, of clasped purlin construction with wattle and daub partitions. Some exposed' close studding with matching curved display braces on the first-floor landing is non-structural, apparently removed from the left cross-wing and re-assembled as decor. The right cross-wing has a chamfered binding beam with lamb's tongue stops, and plain joists of vertical section. Wallplates and tie-beams exposed; clasped purlin roof with straight wind-bracing.
A photograph in the possession of- the owners shows the house before the addition of the C20 extensions, with only one small extension to the left of the left cross-wing. Plans in the possession of the owners show that the major additions and alterations were carried out by Messrs. Tooley and Foster in 1927. The fronts of the cross-wings were stripped of plaster and altered c1986. This house is recorded as Lyndsey's Farm all editions of the OS maps from 1874. The present name is recent.
Listing NGR: TL6277600872
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings