This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6731 / 51°40'23"N
Longitude: 0.3539 / 0°21'14"E
OS Eastings: 562863
OS Northings: 199773
OS Grid: TQ628997
Mapcode National: GBR NJV.0B5
Mapcode Global: VHJKD.26ZQ
Entry Name: Brook Cottage
Listing Date: 20 February 1976
Last Amended: 9 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197285
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373637
Location: Ingatestone and Fryerning, Brentwood, Essex, CM4
Civil Parish: Ingatestone and Fryerning
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Ingatestone St Edmund and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING
20/02/76 GREEN STREET,
(North East Street)
(Formerly Listed as: BRENTWOOD
Ingatestone and Fryerning
House. Early C17, damaged by fire 1938, renovated and extended c1984. Timber-framed, plastered with weatherboarded dado,roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4-bay range facing SW with axial stack in second bay from right, forming a lobby-entrance. C18 external stack at left end, and C20 single-storey extension beyond. C20 additions along the whole length of the rear, forming a rear wing behind each end bay, a flat-roofed 2-storey range between them, and a wing behind the C20 extension, probably all C1984. 2 storeys. 3-window range of C20 casements. C20 door in original position. Grouped diagonal shafts on main stack. All other windows are C20 casements. INTERIOR: the ground-floor room to left of the stack has exposed primary straight bracing and heavy studding, a chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops, plain joists of vertical section, and a wide wood-burning hearth with 0.33m jambs and a chamfered mantel beam with lamb's tongue stops. The room above has a similar ceiling, and a shallow hearth with rear splays; the chamfered mantel beam with lamb's tongue stops is inserted. The left ground-floor room has a chamfered transverse beam and longitudinal plain joists of vertical section; C15 wood-burning hearth. The room above is open to just above the arched collars of the clasped purlin roof. The transverse tie-beam has been severed, leaving a stub in situ on the front wallplate, finished to an ovolo profile c1984. A gabled dormer in the rear pitch of the roof is blocked by a C20 addition to the rear. Much reused timber applied decoratively in the rear part. In the right bay, destroyed by fire in 1938, the only survivals are the 2 wood-burning hearths. The ground-floor hearth has 0.33m jambs, rounded rear splays, and a 4-centred brick arch, repaired. The first-floor hearth has jambs moulded to an ovolo and concave profile, an ovolo-moulded segmental brick arch, and rear splays. These and the other hearths were originally plastered; they have been stripped back to the brickwork and sand-blasted. The exposed framing in this bay is wholly C20, composed of reused old timbers.
HISTORICAL NOTE: notes in the possession of the owner show that this holding was recorded as Bettes in 1420, and Wasketts from 1521, then of 22 acres. The Petre survey of 1556 records a house 40 feet long, 15 feet wide, and 9 feet high to the eaves, with a tiled roof. The Walker map of 1601 illustrates pair of houses joined at an angle (Essex Record Office). The left house (which could be the one recorded in the survey of 1556) is of one storey with attics, with 2 doors, 3 windows, a gabled dormer above the middle window, and a chimney to right of it. The smaller house to right of it has a central chimney and 2 windows; the door is assumed to be on the reverse side, unless the accommodation was so combined that this house used the nearer door of the larger house. This seems to be a 'Unit System' pair, providing joined houses for 2 related households occupying the same holding. The present house is totally different, and must be of later date. In 1840 the house was converted to 3 cottages. The cottage SE of the stack was wholly destroyed by fire in 1938, and the remainder became one house. Major renovation c1984.
(Essex Record Office: D/DP: 8).
Listing NGR: TQ6286399773
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings